Comparing objects after you upgraded with overlays already present
When you upgrade with overlays, you might have the following objects to compare:
- The new base object that is installed
- The previous version's base object that was installed in the previous release
- Your customized object (your overlay) from the previous release
You must determine how you want to compare the objects. You might perform a comparison as follows:
- Compare the new base object with the previous version's base object to understand what BMC changed. This helps you identify changes that BMC has made to its application in the upgrade.
- Compare your customized object (your overlay) to the previous version's base object to understand what changes you made to the object. This helps you identify the changes that you made in your overlay.
- Compare your customized object (your overlay) with the new base object.
Then, you can determine whether you need to keep your customized object or if you can use the new base object.
To see if there are differences between two sets of objects, use BMC Remedy Migrator. To examine the different objects so that you can understand whether to merge changes, use BMC Remedy Developer Studio.
To obtain a list of all of the overlay objects that were modified in the latest release, obtain the Snapshot utility (a Developer Studio plug-in). This unsupported utility is available on the BMC Developer Network at https://communities.bmc.com/communities/docs/DOC-17012.