Progressive web application development
A progressive web application (PWA) provides a modern, mobile-friendly interface that is similar to Smart IT but is also customizable and extensible like Mid Tier .
When you load the progressive views for the first time, depending on the fields on the form and resources on the client machine running the browser, there might be a delay while loading the form.
For example, on a 2 CPU 8 GB client machine, a typical Incident or Problem screen might take about 10-15 seconds more to load.
The following screenshot shows how an incident screen appears when progressive views are enabled:
The following screenshot shows how an incident screen appears
when progressive views are enabled on a mobile phone:
The following screenshot shows how an incident screen
appears when progressive views are enabled on a tablet:
In Developer Studio , you can enable progressive views for an out-of-the-box (OOTB) form or for a custom form. Using PWA, you can create applications that are flexible and provide a dynamic, modern user experience for your applications.
A progressive web application can work with multiple types of clients—browser, Android, and iOS devices. PWAs are designed in such a way that the same view is used for browser and mobile clients, and it is responsive and is rendered according to the clients in which it is displayed. PWA provides a modern, mobile-friendly UI that is similar to Smart IT but is also customizable and extensible like Mid Tier .
The PWA technology meets the following requirements:
- Progressive—Works on all supported browsers. To learn more about the supported browsers, see . The core principle used to build the PWA is progressive enhancement. To learn more about progressive enhancement, see .
- Installable—In the case of mobile devices, allows you to place useful applications on your home screen without the need of an application store.
- App-like—Uses an app shell that provides an app-like navigation and interactions on mobile clients.
- Responsive—Works on any screen size of any device. Auto-scales and auto-arranges the view components dynamically to cater to the need of resizing the application, for example, within a browser or when you move the browser instance across different screens of your computer.
- Safe—Uses Transport Layer Security (TLS). TLS prevents snooping attacks and guarantees the integrity of the content of a website.
- Linkable—Easily shareable by using a link. It does not require complex installations.
Advantages of Progressive Web Application
- Faster application load time.
PWA is designed along the lines of a Single Page Application (SPA), so all static content is loaded once in a browser, and you can navigate seamlessly without the whole browser page being refreshed.
- Flexibility for developing a dynamic user interface.
- Ease of customizing the application.
- Includes a responsive design that enables content to adjust as per your screen size, such as browser, Android, or iOS devices.
- Support for Section 508 compliance similar to that of Smart IT and Mid Tier .
- Support for localization.
You can localize all labels in a generic fashion without the need to create per-locale views. You can also retrieve locale-based data.
- Accessible with user credentials by the standard login functionality similar to that of Smart IT including RSSO integration.