Creating reports from the AR System Report Console
The AR System Report Console enables you to perform different operations on report such as create, schedule, edit, or delete. The AR System Report Console includes the report list, where you can select and run reports, and the report designer screen, where you can create and modify reports.
The icons in the upper right part of the report list screen perform the following functions:
|Run and publish the selected report immediately. For information about publishing a report, see Publishing a report.|
|Schedule to run report at a specified interval. For information about scheduling a report, see Scheduling a report to run automatically.|
|Refresh the list of reports.|
|Creates a new report. For more information, see Setting up a new report.|
|Delete the selected report.|
To set up a new report
When you click New to create a report, you must first define the type of report, its associated form, and the report name in the New Report screen. Depending on the type of report you are creating, the AR System Server opens either the report design screen of the Report Console (for Web reports) or the ReportCreator form (for AR System reports).
- In a browser, click the BMC Remedy AR System Report Console link on the home page to open the Report Console.
- Click New .
- In the Type field of the New Report window, select the Web or AR System report type.
For information about creating Web report, see Defining custom web reports.
For information about creating AR System report, see Creating reports from the AR System Report Console.
When creating a Web report, ensure that the report name does not contain double quotation marks (" ").
- In the Form field, enter the name of the form to use for the report. This field is required.
- (Optional) To limit the list of forms to those that are already used in other reports, select the Forms Used in Existing Reports check box. This can speed up retrieval of the list of forms, but any form that is not already used in some report does appear on the list.
- To find the form quickly, type the first few letters of the form name into the field. For example, type "Sample" to select from the list of forms related to the Sample application.
- Select or clear the Add default fields and sort order check box:
- Selected — Fields that appear in the form's results list after a search are automatically added to the report definition, along with the default sort order. You can remove or change these fields and sort order later if necessary.
- Cleared — No fields are added to the report definition automatically.
- In the Name field, type a name for the report. This field is required.
The report name must be unique. The maximum length is 128 characters. Also, you cannot change the name of the report after you exit this screen, so use care in assigning a report name.
Each report must have a unique Name/Locale combination. For example, two reports can both be name "Monday", if the locale for each report is different.
- Click OK.
To modify a report
You can edit or delete any report that you created, and administrators can modify or delete any report. You cannot edit or delete reports created by others, but you can open them to view the built-in query and fields used in the report.
You can also create a copy of a report by using the Save As button to save the report with a new name. In that case, you are the creator of the new report and can edit it.
Out-of- the-box Web reports provided with BMC Remedy IT Service Management cannot be modified, even if the user is an application administrator, because the reports are not created by the AR System Report Console. However, an application administrator can delete these reports.
- Select the report in the Report Console.
- Click the Edit Report icon that appears to the left of the report name in the console.
- Make any necessary modifications to the report as described in Defining custom web reports.
- Defining a Web list report
- Creating a Web chart report
- Using a query in Web report
- Defining AR System report
- Click Save.
- Click Back to return to AR System Report Console list.
To delete a report
- Select a report in the AR System Report Console.
- Click Delete .
To run reports from AR System Report Console
You can run AR System reports and web reports from the AR System Report Console. The available output formats and how you select them vary by the report type. In order to run a report, you must have permissions to the form and to the fields included in the report. If you do not have permission to the form, the report does not appear in the list of available reports. If you have permission to the form but do not have permission to a field included in the report, that column is blank when you run the report.
In some cases, you can add an additional qualification to the report query at runtime, or override the built-in query with a new qualification. You can run the report of all types as-is, or if the report definition allows, you can change the report results by adding to or overriding the built-in query.
- Locate the report you want to run in the Report Console list.
(Optional) To narrow the report results by adding a query, click Show Additional Filter. For more information, see Updating a query or qualification at runtime.
If the report includes a primary and secondary form, the filter shows only fields that are included in the primary form.
- (Optional) To override a built-in report query, click Override. See Updating a query or qualification at runtime.
- For BMC Remedy AR System reports only, select the output format before running the report. See Exporting a custom AR System report.
Web reports run in HTML and you select the output format after running the report. See Exporting a custom web report.
- Use one of these methods to run the report:
- Select the report and click Run ( ). In this case, the report appears in a viewing area below the list of reports.
- Double-click the report entry in the list. In this case, the report appears in a separate window. This can be helpful if you need to compare two or more reports at a time.
- If the Parameter dialog appears, enter the requested information to narrow the report results, and then click OK.
The configuration parameter
arsystem.nativereport.onscreen_max_entries controls the number of entries that are to be displayed on the browser. (This is applicable only for Native reports with destination to screen.) The browser cannot scale to show a large amount of records (for example, 100,000 records). The system administrator must configure it to an appropriate value. The default is set to 2000.
arsystem.nativereport.onscreen_max_entries configuration property does not place a limit on data exports such as CSV and ARX.
When you open the Report Console from the home page, all reports to which you have permission appear in the list. You can narrow the list to show only those reports you have created, or only reports belonging to a certain category, such as Incident Management.
When you click the Report button after running a search, the Report Console lists only those reports that are based on the form you searched. In this case, when you run the report, only the data you selected from the search results is included, and you cannot add to or override the report query.
Use any of the following methods to locate reports in the Report Console list:
- In the Show field, select Created by Me to list only reports you have created.
- If report categories are defined, select a category from the Category field menu to see only the reports assigned to that category.
- Sort the list by clicking any of the column headings. For example, click the Form Name column heading to sort the list by the associated forms.
- Use the expand and collapse buttons located below the list to see a longer or shorter view of the list, or to hide the list.