Providing help text
You can provide help text for forms and fields.
Help for browser users
To create help for users viewing forms in a browser, add Help button to a form. When users click the Form Help button, information about the form and each of its fields appears. For more information, see Adding form action fields to a form.
To create context-sensitive help text
- Open an object in BMC Remedy Developer Studio.
- Access the help text:
- For the form help text, select the Definitions tab. Expand the Help Text panel.
- For a field, select the field, and select the Help Text property.
- For other objects, open the object, and select the Help Text property.
- In the Help Text field, type the text for the users.
- Save the object.
Help for administrators
For all other server objects (except forms), the help text you create is available only to administrators and subadministrators in BMC Remedy Developer Studio. You can, however, compose extra help text for guides that users can see in the mid tier as they are guided through a form or a series of forms. For more information, see Defining guides and guide actions.
To learn about creating help for applications, see Specifying Help properties for an Application mode.
Accessing help outside of BMC Remedy Developer Studio
The online help for BMC Remedy Developer Studio is packaged in an Eclipse plug-in named
VerNum. (For BMC Remedy Data Import, the plug-in is named
To access help outside of BMC Remedy Developer Studio
VerNum, locate the doc.zip file, and unzip the file to a location where you want to store the help files.
These files do not include a table of contents or an index; they are simply the topic files of the help.
- Browse to the folder and launch any of the files to view a topic.
For BMC Remedy Data Import, follow these steps, but go to the