Making data fields non-operational
To stop using a data field without deleting it, make it nonoperational. Do this for fields that contain necessary data that you do not want users to access or for fields that you plan to delete when you restructure the database.
To make a data field non-operational
- Open the appropriate form.
- Select the field.
- In the Properties tab, make sure that the Entry Mode value is set to Optional.
The Entry Mode property is enabled only for required and optional fields. You cannot change the entry mode of a display-only field, table field, or panel field. See Entry Mode.
- If the form has multiple views, remove the field from all form views except the current form view.
- Remove the field from the current form view.
See Including and excluding fields from form views.
- Right-click the form, and select Save.
The field is not hidden to current users of the form until they reopen the form or log on again.
You can also set permissions to make a field available to selected users only. See Field permissions.