Exporting a custom AR System report
You can save or export AR System data to use in AR System forms, in a spreadsheet, or in other applications. You can also save or export non-AR System data from another application to use in an AR System form. You can export the results of an AR System report to the following file formats:
- BMC Remedy AR System export (file extension .arx)
- BMC Remedy AR System XML (file extension .xml)
- Comma-Separated Value (file extension .csv)
All of these formats can be used to import data to an AR System form with Data Import. CSV files can also be imported to other applications, such as Microsoft Excel.
To export AR report
- Select the report from the list.
- In the Destination field, select whether to send the report to the screen, to a file, or to a printer.
- In the Format field, select the output format for the report.
- Run the report.
The file formats that you select for exporting depend on the original data source and how you will use the data. File formats for AR System reports are explained in the following sections.
The following topics provide information about how to save or export AR System reports:
Using AR Export format
AR Export (.arx) is the default file type. It yields the cleanest results when data is exported and imported within AR System. The AR Export format properly formats data that you import into an AR System form by using BMC Remedy Data Import.
When an attachment is exported in AR Export format from a browser, a .zip file is created that includes the .arx file and the attachments.
Using AR XML format
AR XML (.xml) is a BMC Remedy XML standard derived from the W3C XForm standard, and it contains several elements that are required for AR System use. To import XML data into an AR System form by using BMC Remedy Data Import, your data must conform to the AR XML data specification. Data exported to the AR XML file type conforms to this specification. You can also convert XML data obtained outside AR System to the AR XML standard.
Conversely, you can export AR XML data, parse it with any tool that parses documents that conform to the XForm specification, and use the data outside AR System. For information about XForms, see the W3C website.
Attachments are handled in the same manner as in the .arx file type.
Using comma-separated values format
You can use the comma-separated values (.csv) format if you plan to use the report data in other applications, such as spreadsheets. For example, if you want to use the report data in a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, export it as a .csv file, open Excel, and import the data into the Excel file.
Considerations while using the CSV format:
- You cannot export the content of an attachment with a .csv file. If you export a .csv file with an attachment, only the file name of the attachment is exported.
- When you use CSV report format and specify the output destination as Screen, the report is not displayed on the screen. However, you can download the report in CSV format.
Using record, column, and compressed formats
When you select Record, Column, or Compressed format in the ReportCreator form in a browser, the report is saved as an HTML file (for example, report.rep.html).
Also, the compressed format is not supported in a browser. If you select Compressed as the report format, the report is displayed in Column format instead.