You can copy all field types except attachment fields.
Most properties of the copy are the same as the original with these exceptions:
- If you copy a field to the same view or to a different view of the original form, the only field properties that change are the ID and Name.
- If you copy a field to a different form, all the field's properties (including the ID) remain the same. To use the field in shared workflow (for example, in an active link), you must modify the workflow to include the form to which the field was copied.
Be careful when using different field names that share the same field ID because shared workflow might use the field ID. You might want to use the same field name to help you remember what the field's purpose is on each form if you attach shared workflow to multiple forms.
Regardless of the form or form view to which you copy a field, menus attached to a field are copied with the field and do not need to be reattached.
To copy a field
- Open the form from which you want to copy a field.
- Right-click the field, and select Copy.
You can also select and copy multiple fields.
- Open the form to which you want to copy the field.
- Right-click the form, and select Paste.
The new field appears on the form. If the form has multiple views, these conditions apply:
- If your form preferences are set to add that type of field to all form views, the field is added to all form views. For more information about form preferences, see Setting form properties.
- If your form preferences are not set to add that type of field to all form views, the field is added only to the current form view. To add the field to a different form view, too, select the view, and select Form > Add/Remove Fields On View. See Including and excluding fields from form views.
- If you copy the field to a different view on the same form, a dialog box appears with this prompt: "Do you wish to add existing fields to this view or create new fields?" Select one of these options, and then click OK:
- Create New Fields — Creates a copy of the field, and adds it to the view. The copied field has the same properties as the original field except for the ID and Name.
- Add to View — Adds the selected field to the view. No fields are created. The added field has the same properties as the original field. For another way to perform this operation, see Views.
- Select the newly pasted field.
- In the Properties tab, modify the field properties as necessary.
See Field properties.
- Select the field, drag it to a position in the form, and adjust its size.
See Arranging fields in a form view.
- Right-click the form, and select Save.