Aligning fields using the grid
Use a grid to align fields precisely along a network of lines. Use commands on the Layout menu to set up and display the grid and enable grid alignment. Displaying the grid and enabling grid alignment are independent operations. You can use grid alignment with no grid visible or show the grid without using it for alignment.
Grid alignment is only active when you drag fields to position them in the form view. It is not active when you use the alignment commands or the other methods described in Positioning fields.
To set up the alignment grid
- To set the spacing of the grid lines, select Layout > Grid Size, and enter the horizontal and vertical space in pixels between grid lines in the Set Grid Size dialog box.
Valid values are 2 to 100 pixels. The default value is 25 pixels.
- To display or hide the grid, select Layout > Show Grid.
The grid spacing and visibility are saved in the workspace when you exit and restored when you start BMC Remedy Developer Studio.
To enable or disable grid alignment
- To enable horizontal grid alignment, select one of the following options from the Layout > Align to Grid menu:
- None — Disable grid alignment.
- Left — Align the left edge of the field label with a vertical grid line.
- Value Left — Align the left edge of the field data entry region with a vertical grid line.
- Right — Align the right edge of any button associated with the field with a vertical grid line. If there is no button, align the right edge of the field data entry region.
- Value Right — Align the right edge of the field data entry region with a vertical grid line.
- To enable Vertical grid alignment, select one of the following options from the Layout > Align to Grid menu:
- Top — Align the top edge of the field with a horizontal grid line.
- Bottom — Align the bottom edge of the field with a horizontal grid line.
- To disable grid alignment, select Layout > Align to Grid > None.
The state of grid alignment is saved in the workspace when you exit and restored when you start BMC Remedy Developer Studio.
To align fields to the grid
- Drag selected fields to the correct position in the form view.
The alignment field is aligned to the grid according to the selected options. If other fields are selected, they move with the alignment field and keep their positions relative to it. They are not necessarily aligned to the grid.