Adding a file system browser to character fields
File system browsers enable users to browse network file systems for a file and add the file path to a character field. (File system browsers do not enable users to upload or attach files.)
Using the path in a Run Process active link action to access the contents of the file is not supported on the web.
To add a file system browser
- Open the form where you want to add the browser.
- Right-click the form, and select Create a New Field > Character.
The new field appears on the form.
- Select the field.
- In the Properties tab, select File from the Display Type list.
A file selection button is attached to the character field. For example:
When the Display Type property of a character field is set to File:
- If a menu is attached to the character field, the menu is disabled, and the menu button is hidden.
- The character field's Expand Box property is disabled, and the expand box button is hidden.
When users click the file selection button in browsers, a dialog box containing a Browse button is displayed; clicking Browse displays a standard file selection dialog box.
When users select a file name to add to the character field, any existing data in the field is overwritten.