Viewing data in application using BMC Remedy Flashboards
After you add the flashboard to the form and configure the mid tier and BMC Remedy AR System, you can view your flashboard by opening the form that contains the Data Visualization field with the flashboard in a web browser.
To view Unicode characters in a flashboards field on the BMC Remedy Mid Tier, you must have the appropriate language packages installed on the system on which the mid tier is running.
This feature is not supported for the HTML rendering flashboards.
The sorting depends on the flashboard variable grouping:
- Single Group by — The X axis does not have multiple categories. Every data point falls into one category on the X axis. The sorting is done inside that category.
- Double Group by — The X axis has multiple categories and each category has multiple bars. The sorting is done over each category according to length of corresponding bars.
You can sort flashboards during design time or run time.
To sort flashboards during design time
- Select All Objects > Flashboard Variables and click the Operations tab.
- On the Group By tab, select the primary and secondary values.
- In the Sortfield, select one of the following values:
- No Sort
- By Value
- By Attribute
- Specify the sort order by selecting either Ascending or Descending.
- If you selected the By Attribute value in step 3 type the required value in the Sort Attribute field.
- Click Save.
To sort flashboards during run time
- In a web browser, display the flashboard created during design time.
- Create a Set Field action for using any of the following parameters and its values defined during run time:
The parameters and the values set during run time, overwrite the parameters and values set during design time.
Types of Sorting
The following table explains the types of sorting and provides examples.
|Sort by numbers||Sort by specific value of attribute|
|Use the Sort by numbers option to arrange the primary categories by the cumulative values (heights of the bars). For this type of sorting, both, Single Group by and Double Group by variable grouping is supported.|
Use the Sort by specific value of attribute option to sort flashboards and arrange the bars according to the increasing value of a particular attribute.
Only Double Group by variable grouping supports the Sort by specific value of attribute option.
The example in the following figure uses the Single Group by option to show the population in each age group in a city. When you sort the data in ascending order, the result shows the total number of people in each category, with the children being the smallest category and middle-aged people being the largest category.
Sort by numbers — Single Group by
Sort by numbers — Double Group by
The example in the following figure uses the Sort by specific value of attribute option. The sorting is in ascending order according to the number of middle-aged people (purple).
Sort by specific value of attribute
To enable users to refresh a BMC Remedy Flashboard, you can implement one of several methods:
- The user can refresh a flashboard by closing and re-opening the form that contains the flashboard.
- You can create a Refresh button that activates a Set Fields active link that resets the flashboards field.
You can create a Refresh button that activates a Set Fields active link that resets the flashboards field. Simply set the field to itself for the Set Fields action to refresh the field.
- You can create a Set Fields active link at a specified interval to refresh a flashboard.
When you hover your mouse over a flashboard, is shows the corresponding values of the underlying data. Tooltips are automatic and available on all types of charts.
Manipulating BMC Remedy Flashboards
If an application includes a flashboard (a graph such as bar chart or pie chart), you can manipulate the look of the flashboard. You can use the following controls to manipulate the flashboard:
|Button or field||Description|
|Opens the Options panel where you can make changes as described in the Changing labels or variables section.|
|Opens the flashboard to a full-screen view. In a browser, press ESC to return to normal view.|
|Returns the flashboard to a normal view.|
|Opens the toolbar, which reveals the Zoom buttons, the Show Legend check box, and the chart selection menu.|
|Closes the toolbar, which reveals the Zoom buttons, the Show Legend check box, and the chart selection menu.|
|Show Legend||Displays a legend for the flashboard.|
|Zooms in on specific parts of the flashboard. Click the button, and move the cursor to the flashboard. Click and drag the area you want to zoom in on.|
|Zooms out to view more of the flashboard.|
Allows you to change the flashboard to another type of chart. The options are:
Changing labels or variables
- Click the properties ( ) button.
- Edit the following options:
- Title - Title that appears in the tab above the set of flashboards.
- X Axis Label
- Y Axis Label
- Active Variables - Enables you to add or remove variables from the flashboard.
Drilling down to a information in a flashboard
You can view more information about a chart in a flashboard using the following methods:
- Mouse over a grouping, and a tooltip displays the statistics for that grouping.
- Click a grouping, and a tooltip displays more statistical information (such as the x and y values).
To view the information about line, area, and stacked area charts, mouse over or click the end point of the group.