Navigating between overlays and overlaid objects
This topic describes how to navigate between overlays and overlaid objects.
To open an overlaid object from an overlay
It is often useful to be able to compare an overlay to its origin object.
- In Best Practice Customization mode, right-click on an overlay object.
- Select Open Selected > Overlaid.
The overlaid object is opened in read-only format in the appropriate editor.
- To create an editable custom version of the overlaid object, use the File > Save As command. A copy of the overlaid object is saved as a custom object.
To open a related object on another server from an overlaid object
To identify new functionality in an upgraded application object, you can compare the object with the corresponding overlaid object from an earlier release by opening both objects in BMC Remedy Developer Studio. If those objects are on different servers, use the following procedure to open the upgraded object from the overlaid object:
- In BMC Remedy Developer Studio, log on to the server that contains the overlaid object and the server that contains the upgraded object.
- If you are not in Base Development mode, switch to that mode on both servers.
- Right-click the overlaid object, and select Open Selected > name_of_server_containing_upgraded_object.
The object on the selected server that has the same real name as the selected object is opened in an editor.
The context menu contains only the names of servers to which Developer Studio is logged in and on which an object with the same name as the selected object resides.