Creating logical mappings
You can define logical mappings for each server name involved in a transfer, return, or delete action. While moving the distributed mappings from the development environment to the production environment, this feature eliminates the need to manually replace the server names in any distributed mapping. At run time, DSO replaces the logical server name with the physical server name in accordance with the mappings in the Distributed Logical Mapping form.
You can also create a mapping to define a logical name for a field whose value is not known at the time the distributed mappings are being developed. While moving this mapping to production environment, you can change the value of the physical name with the actual value for this field in the Distributed Logical Mapping form. This ensures that the mapping works properly for your production environment.
To create a distributed logical mapping
- In a browser, open the AR System Administration Console, and click System > Distributed Server Option > Distributed Logical Mappings > New request.
- Enter the following information:
- Logical Name: Specifies the name of the logical entity (server or field name) defined in the distributed mapping
- Physical Name: Specifies the name of the actual entity (server or field name) where the user wants to use the distributed mapping
- Logical Server Name: When selected specifies that this logical name is for a server. This is required only if you want to select the name of the logical server in the Server Name box either in the Distributed Mapping editor or the DSO action editor in BMC Remedy Developer Studio.
- Click Save.