Configuring data archiving for a form
You can use the data archiving feature to back up and delete data from forms.
- Do not archive system forms (such as User, Group, Server Statistics, and Server Events) by using the Copy to Archive and Delete from Source option because these forms use reserved fields that should exist only on one form in BMC Remedy AR System.
- You cannot archive join forms and vendor forms. Any existing archive defined for join form and vendor form is ignored for archiving.
To configure data archiving for a form
To make changes in the Age Qualification field, you must select the overlay type as Overwrite.
- Open the form to configure it for data archiving.
- Click the Definitions tab.
- Expand the Other Definitions panel and then the Archive panel.
(Click the image to expand it.)
- Select an Archive Type option:
- Copy to Archive and Delete from Source
- Delete from Source
For more information on Archive Types, see Archiving data.
NoteArchives must be of type copy and delete or delete . Any archives that are of type copy at the time of upgrade will be converted to copy and delete . This ensures that records in the archive form are unique.
- Select the Enable option to enable archiving of the form.
- Enter the name of the archive form to send the archive data. If the form does not exist, BMC Remedy AR System creates the form.
- If you selected Copy to Archive and Delete from Source, enter a name for the archive form.
For example, if you are archiving data on the Application Statistics form, you might name the archive form Application Statistics_Archive.
If the form that you entered does not exist, BMC Remedy AR System creates the form. If the form exists, it must have these required properties of an archive form, as described in Characteristics of archive forms.
- To include the form in the archive policy, select the Include In Archive Policy option. When you select this option, your form is archived as per your configuration based on the global policy set in the Server Configuration form. For more information, see Archive policy in archiving concepts.
- (optional ) If you selected Copy to Archive and Delete from Source, select the following options to exclude them from the archive form:
- No Attachments
No Diary Fields
Selecting these options saves space in the archive form if the main form has large attachments or a large amount of data in diary fields.
If you select Copy to Archive and Delete from Source, and select the No Attachments and No Diary Fields options, the data in the attachments and diary fields are deleted from the main form and are not copied to the archive form.
To identify the data on the form to archive, enter a qualification.
For example, to archive statistics for a particular server from Application Statistics form, enter:
'Server Name' = “server name”
- To specify the age criteria for archiving records, enter the number of days and age qualification field. The default qualification field is Modified Date. This is a new parameter added in the archive definition, which specifies that the records should be archived when they have reached a specific age. For information about understanding age qualification, see Age qualification in archiving concepts.
For example, to archive statistics that were last modified before 30 days from the current date in the Application Statistics form, enter:
- Number of Days: 30
- Qualification Field: Modified Date
The description fields in the archive policy form and Archive Manager Console show the description from the archive definition. Write the description in such a way that even an administrator less familiar with the application is able to understand the effects of the policy.
Save the form.
After the data is archived according to your qualification criteria at the time specified, you can open your archive form and view archived data using a browser.
When a view form is archived, the archive form is created as a regular form containing core fields that are not in the source form. You must supply default values for the required Submitter and Short Description core fields in the archive form.
Where to go from here
You must now choose which association you want your archiving process to include along with your form. For more information, see Defining associations to follow.