Viewing a Log Zipper output file with Maintenance Tool
From the Maintenance Tool, you can view files from the Log Zipper output file (ARSystemLogs.zip). When you click Browse to Log in the Maintenance Tool, a window displays a file navigation tree. The ARSystemLogs.zip file usually contains a folder with three subfolders with the same names as in the originating system. For example, you might see:
- Documents and Settings
- Program Files
From these folders, you might want to view files such as:
- ProductRegistry.xml — Contains the BMC Software products, versions, and features installed on the system. Identifying the products and versions involved is an initial step for investigating issues.
- OperatingSystemData.xml — Contains information about the system that is relevant to the BMC Software products. Examining this file can direct your attention to system issues, such as insufficient resources or incompatible versions.
- InstalledConfiguration.xml — Contains important environment information from the last successful installation. (A separate installing configuration XML file captures environment and user selections during a current installation attempt.)
You can use an archive utility to unarchive the files into a temporary directory to view the files collected, but the Windows
uncompress utility often gives misleading results, indicating the file is empty or is an invalid zip file.
For a video about using the Maintenance Tool to view the Log Zipper output file, see the following video.
Use player to increase quality or switch to full screen | YouTube:
To open a Log Zipper output file with the Maintenance Tool
- Start the Maintenance Tool utility.
- On the Logs tab, click Browse to Log.
A new window displays a navigation tree.
- In the navigation tree, navigate to the directory with the Log Zipper output file (usually called ARSystemLogs.zip).
- In the navigation tree, expand the zip file to see the files in it.
- Double-click the file that you want to view to open it in the appropriate viewer.