Exporting and importing data with a deployable application
With a deployable application, you can include configuration data to deploy with the application by editing the application and then defining the data to include in the Data tab. This data can include back-end data that users might need to enable or disable workflow.
You can bundle data with an application using either a form included in the application or from an external form, such the Group form. You can define a qualification to select only certain records from the form. If you select a form and do not define an export qualification, all data from the form is exported. You can also configure the import options to define how duplicate data is handled at import time.
Use the Data tab in the Application window to select the form containing the data and configure the settings that are used when you create the definition file.
To include form data when exporting definitions
- In BMC Remedy Developer Studio AR System Navigator, right-click the application name in the Applications list.
- Select Edit Application from the pop-up menu.
- Click the Data tab to open the panel.
- Use the Add button to add forms containing the data to export to the list in the Form Selector dialog box.
- In the Export Qualification field, specify a query to narrow the amount of data included when you export the application.
If you do not specify a query, all data in the form is included. Using an unqualified query can result in a very large .def file.
- In the Fields to Match on Import table, select which fields to map against the form in the target server when you import data. Use the Add button and the Field Selector dialog box to add fields to the list.
Selecting fields to map against target server
(Click the image to expand it.)
- From the Handle Duplicate Request IDs By list, select how to resolve duplicate request IDs when data conflicts are found:
- Reject Duplicate Records — Entries are imported using their existing IDs. If an ID is already in use, an error is generated. (Default)
- Generate New ID for Duplicate Records — Entries are imported using their existing IDs. If a record with the same ID already exists in the database, a new ID is generated for the imported record with the duplicate ID.
- Replace Old Record with New Record — Entries are imported using their existing IDs. If a duplicate ID exists, the entire database record is overwritten with the record being imported. If you use this option, you must map the required core fields. If required core fields are not mapped, the server rejects the records.
- Update Old Record with New Record — Entries are imported using their existing IDs. If a duplicate ID exists, only the fields being imported are replaced, merging the record.
This setting also makes all required fields that are not core fields optional.
- Generate New ID for All Records — New request IDs are assigned to all requests in the data file, regardless of whether any IDs are duplicates.
- Save the changes.
- Use the procedure described in To export a deployable application to export the application to a definition file.
The form data is exported along with the object definition files.