Creating and managing fields
You can create or modify fields in a form at any time. All changes take effect as soon as you save them, but if a user has a form open when you modify its fields, the user must close all instances of the form and reopen it to see your changes.
- To create table fields, see Creating table fields.
- To create panel fields, see Creating panels.
- For detailed descriptions of each field, see Creating and managing fields.
When you add, modify, or remove any field on the form, we recommend;
- To backup your database before making the changes.
- To make changes when the system has minimum load.
Determining what types of fields to use
The way you add fields to a form should be guided by the planned use of the fields. Some possible uses include:
- Data fields that all users need. These fields should be grouped together.
- Data fields used by selected groups of users. Consider grouping these fields on separate tabbed panels.
- Data fields that contain information not presented to users. Consider hiding these fields from all views.
- Temporary workflow fields. These fields store temporary, working values used during workflow processing. Consider hiding them from all views because users do not need to interact with these fields.
- Visual cue fields. Trim fields, panel fields, view fields, and images on button fields provide cues to users on how best to use each form.
- List-oriented fields. Use table fields when presenting data lists on forms.
Add fields carefully because you might find it impractical to eliminate a field after users have come to rely on it. In addition, how you administer fields can affect performance.
For more information about fields, see:
- Core fields
- Reserved fields
- Data fields
- View fields
- Creating fields that are not in form view
- Attachment pools
- Button fields
- Trim fields
- Application list fields
- Data visualization fields
- Navigation fields
- Creating global fields
- Executing entry points in HTML
- Managing fields
- Working with fields in join forms
- Field Properties
- Properties tab for fields in Best Practice Customization Mode