Creating a deployable application definition file
When you export a deployable application, all objects and data necessary for the application to correctly install and execute on the target server are automatically written into a single definition file, sorted by type and object name. The resulting .def file serves as a server-independent archive of the application because it contains everything needed to install the application on a different BMC Remedy AR System server.
The definition file for a deployable application includes the following definitions:
- The application itself and its properties, including permissions.
- The forms and workflow objects included in the application. For information about including shared workflow, see Exporting and importing shared workflow and integrated applications.
- All menus referenced by the application. A menu is referenced by the application if a form in the application has a field that references the menu or if an active link in the application includes a Change Fields reference to the menu.
- All roles associated with the application. The group mappings for each role are not included, because these must be redefined for the groups that exist on the destination server.
- Any packing lists included in the application. Objects in the packing list are included only if they are also in the application.
- Data stored in BMC Remedy AR System forms that are defined as data forms for the application. See Exporting and importing data with a deployable application.
The application state is a server-specific setting. The application is automatically set to Maintenance state when you import it to the destination server. Therefore, custom application state definitions are not exported or deployed with the application.
If the BMC Remedy AR System server has Record Object Relationships enabled, the relationships are recorded as the application objects are created during import. If you import a large application or many object definitions, the server might become highly loaded and unresponsive for a period of time.
To export a deployable application
- In the AR System Navigator area, right-click the application name in the Applications list.
- Select Export Application.
- In the Application Selection dialog box, enter a path and file name for the definition file, for example, C:\AppExports\AppA.def
- Export with default settings or configure additional settings:
- To export the application with default settings, click Finish.
- To configure options for exporting shared workflow, integration workflow, or localized form views, click Next.
- To export include shared workflow or to export integration workflow only, see Exporting and importing shared workflow and integrated applications.
- To export an application with multiple localized views for import on deployment servers with different locales, see Exporting and importing a deployable application with localized views.