Converting from QUICKSTART for z/OS to AR/CTL
- Install AR/CTL as described in the , and configure AR/CTL as described in Configuring the products.
- Quiesce application activity and resolve all active job step conditions by allowing active job steps to complete normally or by completing the restart.
- Implement AR/CTL as described in the Using section. You will use the QUICKSTART-to-AR/CTL bridge that is provided by AR/CTL to obtain checkpoint/restart services and application sequential access method (ASAM) data services.
- Change the JCL to execute the application program as follows:
- Change the EXEC statement to execute the application program directly, rather than executing another program (such as QSSTART or IKJEFT01) that connects to DB2 on behalf of the application program.
- You can remove the QUICKSTART load library, the QSCTRL1 control statement, and any other QUICKSTART statements; they will be ignored.
- You can add optional AR/CTL DD statements.
For more information, see Using.
- If the QUICKSTART application program can issue rollback checkpoints, take action to handle the rollback checkpoints.
When AR/CTL detects that the program has issued rollback checkpoints, AR/CTL abnormally terminates the program with the following messages and abend code:
BMC150225E ROLLBACK FUNCTION CURRENTLY NOT SUPPORTED BY AR/CTL BMC152339D Termination request for job(jobname) step(stepname). BMC74404I PROCESS ENDED, PROGRAM=program name RC=00150225 ABEND=U1786
If the application program normally handles rollback checkpoints by branching back to the start of the program and issuing an S-type checkpoint request, AR/CTL can provide the same results through application reattach options.
To implement reattach processing, add a reattach class record by specifying the U1786 abend code along with the 00150225 reason code. For more information, see Reference.
- If QUICKSTART formerly provided checkpoint pacing for the application program, you can add an AR/CTL checkpoint pacing class for the QUICKSTART application programs.