SNMP service operations
Passive end-user experience monitoring provides an SNMP MIB that enables your SNMP manager to get SNMP traps and to query SNMP data.
This page gives detailed information about correcting SNMP service failures, enabling Real User Analyzer and Collector components installed on the same machine, and disabling the SNMP service validation.
The SNMP service in BMC Real End User Experience Monitoring is made up of the following components:
|snmp-master-agent||The primary SNMP service that starts and stops the snmpd SNMP agent daemon.|
|snmpconfig.sh||The controlling script that updates the snmpd deamon config.|
|snmp-sub-agent||A service responsible for the host SNMP properties (CPU, memory, etc.)|
To correct an SNMP service failure
If the system requirements are met but an error message appears when you try to enable the SNMP service, you must login to the server as a root user and check the following issues:
- Using process status (ps) command, verify that the SNMP service is not running.
- Verify that another process does not occupy the configured SNMP port (default port: 161).
- Verify that the EUEM_HOME environment is pointing at the right path.
- Try starting the SNMP service with the command:
service snmp-master-agent.sh start
- Check the log file (default /var/logs/snmpd.log) for details if the SNMP service is not starting.
- Use the snmpconfig tool to start the agent.
The tool is located at:
For SNMP v2, the command is:
snmpconfig.sh -e 2c
- Try to enable the SNMP service from the Real User Analyzer interface.
To enable SNMP with the Real User Analyzer and Collector on the same machine
If the Real User Analyzer and Collector components were installed on the same machine, the SNMP service must be synchronized between both components to operate correctly.
The Real User Analyzer and Collector components must have identical SNMP configuration details for the local agent, SNMP MIB, and SNMP trap for both components. For more information, see:
To disable the SNMP service validation
If you see an error message when the SNMP service is enabled, it means that the service validation check failed and the SNMP service has not started.
When the SNMP service has started, but the service validation is incorrect, the service validation check can be disabled when the SNMP service is enabled with the user interface.
Open the import-controller.properties file and set the
controller.cmd.snmp.verifysnmp command to false.