Implementing Mobile Configuration Pack
Configuration Packs simplify configuration of the Real User Monitor and Real User Analyzer components for monitoring and analyzing web traffic for mobile devices. The Mobile Configuration Pack provides a dashboard that enables you to monitor the following metrics for mobile and non-mobile traffic:
- Sessions Impacted
- Number of Pages
This configuration pack contains Watchpoints and incident-detection rules for the Real User Analyzer and Real User Monitor that enable you to start monitoring mobile data more quickly.The following tables describe the configuration elements that are updated with this configuration pack.
Archived page watchpoints
|Watchpoint name||Watchpoint ID||Description|
|User: Mobile traffic||10000||All traffic coming from mobile devices|
|User: Non-mobile traffic||10001||All traffic coming from non-mobile devices|
User-defined page custom fields
|Client browser name||string|
The name of the browser the client is using, including mobile browsers
|Client operating system||string|
The common name of the client's operating system, including mobile operating systems
Availability incident detection rules
|Availability incidents for User: Mobile traffic||10000|
|Availability incidents for User: Non-mobile traffic||10001|
Performance incident detection rules
|Performance incidents for User: Mobile traffic||10000|
|Performance incidents for User: Non-mobile traffic||10001|
This topic presents the following tasks to obtain the Mobile Configuration Pack, upload it to the system, and activate its contents:
Obtaining the Mobile Configuration Pack from the EPD website
The Mobile Configuration Pack is available for download from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution (EPD) website. See the BMC Real End User Experience Monitoring Software Edition distribution in the topic for details.
The downloaded Mobile-configuration-pack.zip file contains the following files:
- readme_EUEM_mobileTrafficConfig.pdf (this document)
Applying the Mobile Configuration Pack files to the Real User Analyzer and Real User Monitor
To apply the configuration files, upload them to the Real User Analyzer or Real User Monitor, then turn on the custom fields, watchpoints, and incident-detection rules, as described in the following procedures.
To perform this procedure, you must have Administrator-level access, or higher.
Installing the Mobile Configuration Pack
- Unzip the Mobile-configuration-pack.zip file.
- Log into the Real User Monitor or Real User Analyzer with Administrator-level access or higher.
- Backup your current configuration:
- Select the Administration tab.
- From the Manage configuration menu, select Download device configuration.
- Upload the Configuration Pack:
- Select the Administration tab.
From the Manage configuration menu, select Upload configuration pack.
Do not select Upload device configuration. This action will override your current configuration.
- Browse to device-configuration.zip and upload the file.
- From the Dashboards tab, click Upload dashboards from the Action menu on the far right.
- Under Upload dashboards configuration, browse to the dashboards-configuration.zip file, select Merge, and click Upload.
The Real User Monitor or Real User Analyzer component can now monitor and analyze web traffic for mobile devices.
- Turn on each uploaded configuration element that you want to use.
After you upload configuration files, your dashlets might display an error message indicating that certain watchpoints are not found or archived. To resolve this problem, de-archive the indicated watchpoints and reload the dashboard page. If the watchpoints are archived, you cannot turn on the incident-detection rules.
Turning on user-defined page custom fields
- In the Real User Analyzer or Real User Monitor, select Administration > Data flow settings > Custom fields.
- Under Custom fields, select all types or page to locate the following new custom fields:
- Client browser name
- Client operating system fields.
- For each custom field, click ON.
Turning on watchpoints
The Mobile Configuration Pack provides archived page watchpoints that you can use as a starting point to modify or define your own watchpoints. For details about watchpoints, see Defining a page Watchpoint.
- In the Real User Analyzer or Real User Monitor, select Watchpoints > Archived Watchpoints.
- From the shortcut menu of each uploaded mobile Watchpoint, select De-archive & turn on.
Turning on incident-detection rules
The Mobile Configuration Pack provides incident-detection rules, which you can use as a starting point to modify or define your own incident-detection rules. For more information, see Defining incident-detection rules on the Analyzer.
- In the Real User Analyzer or Real User Monitor, select Administration > Thresholds and problem detection > Incident detection.
- In the Incident detection rules overviewtable, locate the following watchpoints:
- User: Mobile traffic
- User: Non-mobile traffic
- For the first Watchpoint, in the Total column, click the number link.
- On the Incident detection rules page, select ON for each rule.
- Return to the previous page, and repeat steps 3 and 4 for the second Watchpoint.