Getting started with real end-user experience monitoring
With passive real end-user monitoring, system administrators can configure a solution to monitor your company’s web applications, and application support analysts can ensure the quality and availability of the web applications.
As user expectations rise and front- and back-end application architecture becomes more complex, it is more important than ever to understand how your customers and users experience your application. BMC Real End User Experience Monitoring Software Edition supports the following business needs:
- Ensuring customer satisfaction by proactively monitoring web application performance and availability from the end-user perspective
- Measuring service levels
- Identifying web application problems before customers call for help
- Diagnosing and restoring services faster
Installing and configuring BMC Real End User Experience Monitoring Software Edition components
BMC Real End User Experience Monitoring Software Edition includes the following components:
|Real User Analyzer|
The Analyzer organizes traffic data acquired from the Real User Collector component into segments, processes it, and provides incidents and usable information that is presented in the TrueSight console or Real User Analyzer console.
|Real User Collector|
The Collector gathers the traffic data information sent from a single, or multiple, Cloud Probes and distributes it to the Analyzer.
The Cloud Probe captures traffic data from a tapping point between the application and the end user (for example, a network tap or a mirror port on a network switch). It sends the traffic data information to the Real User Collector.
After your system administrator installs the , you must
If the TrueSight Presentation Server is installed, you can as a data provider to the Presentation Server so that the data received from the Real User Analyzer is displayed in dashboards in the TrueSight console.
You can also access the Real User Analyzer console by entering the Real User Analyzer's IP address or host name in a supported browser.
Real User Analyzer console
Setting up and managing end-user experience monitoring
After the Real End User Experience Monitoring components have been installed and initially configured, you need to set up traffic data collection and storage options for the traffic data.
The Real User Collector and the Analyzer must be connected so that the Collector can feed data to the Analyzer.
You can verify and monitor the flow of traffic data from the Collector to the Analyzer on the Status tab of the Real User Analyzer console.
The Status tab
Monitoring and viewing the user experience
You can configure performance thresholds and the way you view the performance and availability metrics of your application.
Using Real End User Experience Monitoring dashlets in dashboards, you can view statistics about your web traffic as visually rich presentations. A dashlet is a configurable pane on a dashboard that represents a particular metric. It provides a summary of end-user or application performance information that gives context about the health of your web application. Each dashlet contains gauges, charts, and other graphical elements that provide an at-a-glance view of statistics.
Dashlets help you determine:
- What to monitor
- Whether your system has a problem
- Whether a problem needs immediate attention
For example, you can add a Global Application Delivery dashlet to a dashboard. This dashlet shows data from a Real User Analyzer to help identify problems in traffic volume and performance that end users are experiencing in various geographic locations. For example where the highest traffic comes from or which area has the biggest performance issues. This dashlet is available in the Truesight console and the Real User Analyzer console.
Global Application Delivery dashlet in the TrueSight console
Global Application Delivery dashlet in the Real User Analyzer console
Want to learn more?
You can find additional information about the BMC Real End User Experience Monitoring Software Edition architecture and deployment options available in
- Set up and manage real end-user experience monitoring and manage end-user experience monitoring core components.
- Work with dashboards and dashlets to monitor the real end user experience to determine user satisfaction. This includes information about the end-user experience dashlets available in the TrueSight console and Real User Analyzer console.
- Use the Real User Analyzer analysis and performance diagnostic capabilities to help you locate the root cause of performance problems by using queries, summary views, and investigation of deeper levels of hierarchical performance data.
- Access code-level diagnostic data by integrating end-user experience monitoring with deep-dive application diagnostics.