Restricting access to the dataset
As a BMC Atrium Core administrator, you might need to modify the configuration settings of a dataset in the following ways:
- Modifying the accessibility or client list of a dataset that you created in the Reconciliation Engine.
- Restricting the default ability to directly create configuration items (CIs) in the BMC.ASSET dataset.
Be careful how you modify the dataset — especially datasets created by an installer (for example, BMC.ASSET ) — because your new settings might render it unusable. Don't modify the DatasetType, Name, ClassId, or CoreDatasetId settings.
To restrict access to the dataset
- Open the BMC.CORE.CONFIG:BMC_Dataset form.
The form opens in search mode.
- Enter search criteria to find the dataset you want to edit and click Search.
Change the configuration settings to restrict users from creating CIs directly in the BMC Asset database with a back-end form (for example, BMC.CORE:BMC_ComputerSystem or AST:ComputerSystem).
Best PracticeWe recommend that you create, modify, or delete CIs in the Sandbox dataset and only then promote them to the BMC.ASSET dataset.
- Change the Accessibility setting from Writable to Writable by client only.
- In the ClientTypeList field, enter a client ID (for example, 32 is the Reconciliation Engine).
If you add any client IDs in this field, only those clients can create, modify, or delete instances in the dataset. Client IDs are integer values and must be delimited by semicolons.
The following are the allowable client values:
- BMC Impact Publishing Server: 28
- BMC Impact Model Designer: 59
- Reconciliation Engine: 32
- Web browser: 9
- BMC Remedy User (discontinued in the 8.0.00 release of the BMC Remedy AR System): 3
- Click Save.
To validate the changes
- Open BMC.CORE:BMC_ComputerSystem in a web browser.
- Create a new CI.
- Set the DatasetId to
- Save the record.
If you correctly modified the dataset, the server returns the following message:
You don't have proper access to this dataset. :Dataset ID: BMC.ASSET. Current client type: 9 (ARERR 120124)