Working with CIs and relationships in a popup
You can view configuration items (CIs) and their relationships in a popup. The popup window lets you preview the set of expanded CIs before you decide to add them to the view.
Before you begin
Configure BMC Atrium Explorer to expand the graphical map to use popups, as described in Opening BMC Atrium Explorer.
To work with CIs and relationships in a popup
- In the Find section of the BMC Atrium Explorer navigation pane, query for the CI that you want to view.
- Drag a CI from the results list to the display pane.
- (optional) Select a filter from the Choose filter list (shown in the left layout menu) inside the display pane.
- (optional) From the layout menu, select an option (for example, Hierarchic ) to organize the view inside the popup.
- Expand the CI.
The parents and children of the CI appear in a popup window, with the original CI highlighted (as shown in the following figure). You can resize the popup or move it within the display pane.
When you select a filter, it is applied to both the original CI and the popup view--as indicated by the red virtual relationship line between the two CIs. To view an alternate configuration of CIs in the view, you can select a different filter from the layout menu, or even turn off the filter. Applying a different filter does not refresh the CIs displayed in the popup. The new filter can affect the popup content if you close the popup and then expand the CI again to open a new popup.
- Perform one of the following tasks:
- To add the expanded CIs shown in the popup to the original view, right-click an empty spot inside the popup and then click Add to View. The popup closes and the CIs displayed in the #popup now appear in the view.
- Click the red X to close the popup.