Viewing instance history in BMC Atrium Explorer
You can view the audit history of an instance so that you can track all the changes made to that instance. The two types of auditing used when modifying a class — Copy or Log — save different information about audited instances, but are displayed the same way in the Instance History.
The Instance History is no longer available after you delete a configuration item (CI) in BMC Atrium Explorer.
Before you begin
You can view history only for classes that have auditing enabled and that have at least one attribute with an Audit Option other than None (for example, Audit, Copy, or Audit & Copy).
Instance history in BMC Atrium Explorer
For more information about the audit feature, see:
To view instance history
- Open BMC Atrium Explorer.
- Click the Find tab.
- Perform one of the following methods to open the Instance History window:
Opening the Instance History window
Clicking View History in the Find tab toolbar
- Search for a CI.
- Select an instance from the results list.
- Click View History in the Find tab toolbar.
Using the display pane
- Search for a CI.
- Drag instances from the results list to the display pane.
- (optional) Edit the instance as needed.
- Select the instance in the display pane.
- Click the CI menu arrow and then select View History.
The Instance History window then provides the history of the instance. The main section lists essential information (for example, Action, Submitter, and so on) about the audit, sorted by the date of the audit.
- Select a record in the table to view more details about the history.
The Instance History window displays the results of the three different audit attributes —
Audit & Copy— in various ways.
- The Changed Attribute Information section lists all the attributes that are Audit or Audit & Copy enabled and were changed.
- The Additional Attribute Information section lists attributes that are Copy enabled.
The following table shows the settings in the audit life cycle when you create or modify a computer system CI.
Audit life cycle of a sample instance
Audit attribute (Domain)
Copy attribute (Hostname)
Audit & Copy attribute (Workgroup)
Additional attribute written to Instance History
Changed attribute written
Modify attribute not enabled for audit (for example, Category)
Hostname — CALBRO-SJ
Workgroup — IDD
For a different view of the audit history, you can review the CMDB.DefaultAuditLog form.
- Click Create Report.
- Select the location to create the report.
- Save the report in .csv format.
- Open the report and view the audit history for the CI.