Propagating attributes for weak relationships
The BMC Atrium CMDB Class Manager helps you propagate (or copy) attributes for weak relationships. You can map attributes between members of a weak relationship. The value of a mapped attribute of the source class is copied, or propagated, to the corresponding attribute on the destination class. This allows you to find out limited information about a source Configuration Item (CI) while viewing a destination CI, without having to follow the relationship and view the source CI.
Creating or modifying classes process
To propagate a source attribute, you must map it to an existing attribute on the destination class. Create new attributes on the destination class for this purpose, instead of mapping to an attribute provided by the Common Data Model (CDM). Doing so allows CDM attributes to serve their intended purpose and prevents you from accidentally overwriting propagated source CI values with values from somewhere else.
Mapped attributes in a weak relationship
The attribute that you propagate to on the destination class must be the same data type as the attribute on the source class, and it cannot be inherited from a superclass. When you set up propagation, the limit characteristics of the destination attribute are modified to match those of the source attribute. For example, if you propagate an integer attribute that has a Min value of 3 on the source side to a destination attribute with a Min value of 1, the Min value of the destination attribute changes to 3.
Before you begin
Make sure that you have:
- A relationship class that will connect two CI classes.
- An attribute on the destination class for each attribute that will be propagated from the source class.
To propagate attributes for weak relationships
- In the Class Manager, open the relationship class for editing.
- In the Relationship Type section of the Relationship Class dialog box, select the Weak Reference check box.
- Click Propagated Attributes.
- In the Class 1 table of the Weak Reference Propagated Attributes dialog box, select a source attribute to propagate.
- In the Class 2 table, select a destination attribute.
- Click Map Relationship.
- Repeat step 5 through step 7 for each attribute you want to propagate.
- Review the mapped attributes in the mapped relationship table.
- Click OK to save the mappings.
- Perform one of the following actions:
You want to provide additional information for the class
Continue with the process described in Process overview for creating or modifying classes.
You are finished working with this class