Normalization Engine component of BMC Atrium CMDB
The Normalization Engine is a policy enforcement engine installed with BMC Atrium Configuration Management Database (BMC Atrium CMDB). It enables you to centrally define data policies and automatically enforce them throughout BMC Atrium CMDB. Data from any source is subject to policy enforcement. This consistency in BMC Atrium CMDB data enables consuming applications to make good decisions.
For example, BMC Asset Management can report on software license usage appropriately. In conjunction with the Product Catalog, the Normalization Engine provides a centralized and customizable means to normalize the following types of data:
- Products and categorizations — Replaces CI values of
Item, and manufacturer data such as
Model, with correct values from the Product Catalog.
- Impact — For relationships, sets the impact attributes based on the out-of-the-box or custom impact rules for the relationship class and the source and destination classes it relates to. With version 7.6.03 and later, impact is represented as attributes in a relationship class. The
BMC_Impactclass was deprecated.
- Relation Name — For relationships, replaces the existing
Namevalue with the BMC-recommended name based on the CI classes in the relationship.
- Row-level security--Sets the row-level and attribute-level permissions on CIs as you define them.
- Version Rollup — Sets the
MarketVersionattribute for instances to a common value based on default or custom rules. This provides more accurate information for managing licenses.
- Suite Rollup — Allows you to define suites and their products and to identify instances as a suite, a suite component, or a standalone application. This allows more accurate management of suite and individual licenses.
- Custom — Allows you to create custom rules when the out-of-the-box Normalization features do not meet your requirements for normalizing data. You can create a custom rule for CI and relationship classes to perform a set attribute action based on the conditions that you have defined in a rule.
With the Normalization Engine, you can define what is normalized and when. You can select the BMC Atrium CMDB classes to normalize and the attributes for each class. You can also choose which datasets are normalized. For more information about normalization, see Normalizing data.