Naming and numbering rules for new classes and attributes
If you create classes or attributes in your data model, use the following guidelines:
- Item names like Class name, Attribute name, and Dataset name are case sensitive. However, it depends on the case sensitivity for fields configured in the database tables. CMDB inherits the database configuration for case sensitivity.
Consider the following
- You have configured unique index for the item names in the database table
- Case sensitivity configuration in the database is disabled
- You have created two classes, BMC_Test and BMC_TEST, in CMDB
- Name a new class with a prefix other than
BMC_to identify it as your own, and make the name descriptive.
- Give an attribute an
Attribute Namethat is unique across your entire data model.
- Give attributes a Field ID greater than 536870911 or leave this field blank to automatically generate an ID.
Specifying a value greater than 536870911 enables you to create custom BMC Remedy AR System workflow on the field and share the workflow between forms, because you can give the same ID to a field on another form.
It is better to give attributes a Field ID that is unique across your entire data model; therefore you should share workflow only between a BMC Atrium Configuration Management Database (BMC Atrium CMDB) form and a form that is not part of BMC Atrium CMDB. See the BMC Remedy Action Request System documentation for information about sharing workflow and other benefits of specifying a Field ID.
BMC Software reserves numbers 536870911 and lower.