Exporting and importing normalization configurations
This topic discusses exporting and importing normalization configurations
When migrating (for example, from a development to production environment), you can export and import the following normalization settings:
- Dataset normalization settings
- BMC Atrium CMDB class settings
- Job schedules
- Product Catalog alias mapping
The settings for Normalization System Configuration are not exported, including logging, RPC Queue, and Threads and Connections settings.
Do not save the file using Microsoft Notepad because it does not save the carriage returns and line feeds (CR+LF) correctly. Use a plain text editor that retains CR+LF. Otherwise, importing the definitions fails.
The normalization configuration is saved as XML to your computer's clipboard, which you can then paste into a file.
Normalization Engine import options
In case of duplicate entries, the Normalization Engine provides the following import options:
Import options for duplicate entries
Discard Duplicate Entries
Any configuration settings in the imported data that match existing settings are not imported. All other imported settings overwrite existing ones. If settings are the same in the imported and existing configurations, the existing settings are used.
Replace Duplicate Entries
If settings are the same in the imported and existing configurations, the imported settings are used.
To export normalization settings
- In the Normalization console, click Export Configuration.
- In Select Export Options, click options to exclude or include in the XML.
The XML is automatically generated.
- Click Save to copy the XML configuration information to your system clipboard.
Open or create a file in a text editor, and paste the copied XML data.
To import normalization settings
- From a saved file or from the Export Normalization Configuration dialog box, copy the XML configuration data.
- In the Normalization console, click Import Configuration.
- In Select Import Option for Duplicate Entries, select the appropriate option.
For more information about the import option for duplicate entries, see Normalization Engine import options.
- In the XML input for Import text box, paste the XML data.
- Click Import.
- When the import message appears, click Close.