Editing CIs and relationships in BMC Atrium Explorer
Usually, changes to configuration items (CIs) and their relationships are reflected in BMC Atrium Configuration Management Database (BMC Atrium CMDB) instances automatically after discovery, normalization, and reconciliation processes have completed. However, you can also edit instances manually.
For example, if you reassign a computer system to a new employee, you might want to update the instance for that CI in BMC Atrium CMDB to show the new owner.
You cannot directly edit instances in the BMC Asset dataset, which is reserved for production use. When you click an instance in the display pane and select Edit or Quick Edit, the BMC Asset view is converted into a Sandbox view.
To edit CIs
- In BMC Atrium Explorer, open a view for an editable dataset (for example, the Sandbox).
- Add the instances that you want to edit to the view.
You can query for instances as described in BMC Atrium Explorer and building queries, or you can open an existing view containing the instances you want to edit as described in BMC Atrium Explorer views.
CIs from the production dataset added to the Sandbox do not display a special status icon (for example, the pencil icon). This is a visual indication to you that they exist in the Sandbox view only as copies of corresponding CIs from the BMC Asset dataset; they do not exist in the Sandbox dataset. For more information, see Sandbox views and datasets.
- Click an instance and select Edit.
Edit immediately copies the instance to the Sandbox view and dataset. The pencil icon next to the instance indicates the CI has been edited in the Sandbox dataset while a corresponding copy of the CI exists in the BMC Asset dataset (even if you cancel the Edit action).
- If the BMC Remedy IT Service Management applications are installed (7.6.03 or later), the Asset view of the instance appears. For example, if you edit a computer system CI, the Computer System form (AST:ComputerSystem) is displayed.
- Otherwise, the instance appears in its class form. For example, if you edit a computer system CI, the BMC.CORE:BMC_ComputerSystem class form is displayed.
- Modify the attribute values as needed, and then click Save.
You cannot revert your edits inside the Sandbox view. You must open the instance in the Asset or class form, and then manually restore the changes.
Do not edit the
ReconciliationIdentityattributes. BMC Atrium CMDB workflow requires that these values remain unchanged.
- Click OK.
- If you are finished working in the Sandbox dataset and are ready to promote changes to the BMC Asset dataset, click Promote Sandbox Changes in the toolbar.
For more information, see Promoting instances.
To perform a quick edit of common attributes
By default, you can perform a quick edit of the name and short description.
- Click an instance and select Quick Edit.
Quick Edit temporarily copies the instance to the Sandbox view but it is not yet in the actual dataset.
After you edit the instance, the instance then becomes part of the Sandbox dataset. The pencil icon next to the instance indicates the CI has been edited in the Sandbox dataset while a corresponding copy of the CI exists in the BMC Asset dataset.
If you cancel the Quick Edit action, the pencil icon does not appear next to the instance.
- In the dialog box, enter new values, and then click OK.
Administrators can configure different attributes to appear. For more information about configuring the attributes available for quick editing, see Defining Quick Edit attributes for a class.
To add impact to relationship instances
- Double-click a relationship instance.
- In the Quick Editor, update the following attributes:
Short Description— Type a description of the relationship.
HasImpact— Select Yes.
ImpactDirection— Select the direction (for example, Source-Destination or Destination-Source).
- Click OK.
The purple arrow icon now displays the direction of the impact relationship from the source CI to the destination CI.