Creating a standard reconciliation job
For most reconciliation jobs, the Standard Identification & Merge Job uses default settings to simplify creating jobs.
- Determining when to use standard reconciliation jobs and rules
- Standard reconciliation identification and merge job settings
The standard job contains the most common reconciliation activities:
- Identifying class instances that are the same entity in two or more datasets.
- Merging class instances from one dataset (such as discovery) to another dataset (by default, the production BMC.ASSET dataset).
All the identification and merge settings use automated values, which you can modify from the Job Editor.
By default, a standard job identifies and merges CIs that have not been normalized. To reconcile only CIs that have been normalized, enable the Process Normalized CIs Only option in the Job Editor.
- To get the most use out of discovered data, after discovering data Normalize the data, reconcile it into your production dataset immediately after your discovery application loads data into BMC Atrium CMDB.
- Do not create jobs that simultaneously identify the same dataset or merge data into the same target dataset. Simultaneous reconciliation can either overwrite data you wanted to keep from the other job or create duplicate CI instances.
If you need to create multiple jobs to merge data into the same production dataset, use the Execute activity to run the jobs sequentially or set the jobs as continuous and run them in parallel with the Look Into Other Datasets for Parallel Continuous Jobs option selected. For information about configuring Look Into Other Datasets for Parallel Continuous Jobs option, see Configuring Reconciliation Engine system parameters.
- Do not run the BMC Atrium Integration Engine, Normalization Engine, or Reconciliation Engine at the same time because they this may have an impact on system resources availability.
- For a large amount of data, such as an initial load, run separate identify and merge jobs to allow for better diagnostics.
- For incremental updates, run identify and merge activities in one job. For new CIs, the identify and merge activities are run. For modified CIs, the identify activity runs quickly because the CIs have reconciliation IDs, and the merge activity runs.
- Consider indexing attributes used in identification rules. Consult your DBA to determine what indexes would help you.
- Do not rename the OOTB Reconciliation jobs, as other products could be using the names given to those jobs.
Before you begin
Verify that the default identification and merge settings for a standard job. See Standard identification and precedence rules for reconciliation jobs.
To create a standard reconciliation job
- In the Reconciliation console, click Create Standard Identification & Merge Job.
- For Name, type a short unique name for the job.
The name must be unique, and cannot contain any characters that are not allowed in filenames for the operating system of your server. For example, on a Windows server your job name cannot contain the following characters: \ / : * ? " < > |.
- Select the Source Dataset from which data is copied and merged with the production dataset.
- Click Save.