Comparing CI and relationship instances in BMC Atrium Explorer
At any given time, BMC Atrium Configuration Management Database (BMC Atrium CMDB) can contain more than one instance that represents the same real-world configuration item (CI). These instances normally reside in different datasets.
Comparing instances in BMC Atrium Explorer
You can use BMC Atrium Explorer to perform the following CI comparison tasks:
- Compare two instances within a single dataset or from two different datasets.
- Compare two different CIs within a single dataset by selecting both of them and clicking Compare Instances. The two instances should not represent the same physical entity.
- Compare two relationship instances.
- Create a report (in .csv format) that compares CI details.
The differences between the two instances are displayed in the Compare Instances view in a results table. For example, if you suspect that two instances in the same dataset represent the same real-world CI, you can compare instances to determine which instance to delete.
To compare instances
- Open BMC Atrium Explorer.
- In the Find section of the BMC Atrium Explorer navigation pane, query for the instances that you want to compare from the first dataset.
- Perform one of the following comparison methods:
Using Compare Instances
- Select an instance from the results list.
- Click Compare Instances in the Find tab toolbar.
Using the display pane
- Drag instances from the results list to the display pane.
- Select an instance that you want to compare.
- Click and then select Compare Instances.
The Compare Instances view appears as a results table in the display pane. The results table lists the attributes and values for the first instance.
- Reset the query options and then query for instances from a second dataset.
- Drag an instance from the results list to the results table.
The results table now displays the attributes and values for both instances.
- To view the attribute values, filter the results displayed in the Show field:
- Select Show > Differences only (the default) to display only the CI attributes that are different in the results table.
- Select Show > All attributes to display all the CI attributes in the results table.
- To compare other instances from the same dataset, drag and drop instances from the query results list into the header table of the Compare Instances view.
The results tables lists the new comparison results.
To compare Sandbox instances with the BMC Asset dataset
You can compare Sandbox instances with the BMC Asset dataset, for example, to verify if the CIs in the Sandbox and the BMC Asset datasets match.
- Open BMC Atrium Explorer.
- Open a new or existing view for an editable dataset (for example, the Sandbox).
- In the Find tab, edit the query options to include a different dataset (for example, the Sandbox).
- Perform a new search.
- Drag and drop instances from the query results list into the Sandbox.
- Edit the instances as needed.
- In the toolbar, click Table View to see the instances as rows in a table.
- Right-click an instance from the row and then select Compare Against Asset Version.
The Compare Instances view appears. By default, the results table displays the different values between the Sandbox and BMC Asset instances.
To create an instance comparison report
You can create a report (in .csv format) that provides the comparison details about the instances.
- Perform a comparison between two instances.
- Click Create Report.
- Select the location to create the report.
- Save the report in .csv format.
- Open the report and view the details for the CI attributes.