Relating companies to Product Catalog entries
You can relate companies to Product Catalog entries to separate the Product Catalog entries associated with different companies.
You can associate companies to products, versions, and patches. If a Product Catalog entry is associated with the - Global - company, that product entry is available to all companies or organizations, and you cannot specify a company relationship. By default, when you create Product Catalog entries, they are associated with the - Global - company. For example, the Microsoft Office Word 2003 entry is associated with the - Global - company in the Product Catalog of Calbro Services. So, Microsoft Office Word 2003 is available for both Calbro Services and Calfin Services.
Configure relationships with the - Global - company first and apply company-specific rules only for multitenancy. This reduces the number of records in the Product Catalog that must be maintained for each customer.
For information about creating and managing companies, see Product Catalog and multitenancy.
Before you begin
Create software product and version entries for products to which you want to relate entries.
To relate a company to Product Catalog entries
- From the Product Catalog Console, select General Functions > Search Products.
The Product Catalog Setup window opens in Search mode.
- In the Product Category area of the Product Catalog Setup window, select a product to relate to a company.
- (Optional) In the Model Version tab, select a version or model for the selected product.
- (Optional) In the Patch tab, select a patch for the selected version.
- In the Company and Module Relationships area, click Create.
If a product is associated with the - Global - company, you must delete the association and then click Create.
- From the Company list, select the company to relate to the selected Product Catalog entries.
Only companies that are tenant-types (i.e company type that are either Customer or Generic Contact or Service Provider or Operating Company or Vendor) are available in the list.
- From the Status list, select the status for the product.
Specifying a status for this entry enables the application to search on the status. The various statuses are informational only; they do not cause any actions to occur.
- Proposed — Temporarily prevents the product category from being selected by an application.
- Enabled — Enables the product category to be selected by an application. Only product categories that are set to Enabled appear in lists for product fields.
- Offline — Specifies that the product category is offline and temporarily unavailable.
- Obsolete — Specifies that the product category is obsolete and no longer available.
- Archive — Specifies that the selected product category has been archived.
- Delete — Specifies that the selected product category has been deleted. Product Catalog entries are deleted using the Delete button on the Product Category tab on the Product Category Setup form.
- (clear) — Clears the Status field.
- Select the Product Status Flags.
For more information about the status options, see Approved Product, Managed Product, and other status options in the Product Catalog.
- Click Save and then click Close.