For information about issues corrected in this release, see Known and corrected issues.
This section contains information about enhancements in version 9.0.00 of BMC Atrium Core product.
Version 9.0.00 is released after version 8.1.00, which is a major release that contain significant enhancements. If you are considering an upgrade from a version prior to 9.0, or considering to fresh install BMC Atrium CMDB to you might be interested in seeing the following enhancements:
Separate online documentation for installation and upgrade information
Starting with the 9.0.00 release, the installation and upgrade information of BMC Atrium Core is available through the new BMC Remedy ITSM Suite 9.0 Deployment online documentation.
The BMC Remedy ITSM Suite 9.0 Deployment online documentation contains consolidated information of installation and upgrade procedures for all the components in the BMC Remedy IT Service Management (ITSM) Suite. This online documentation categorizes the components as:
- Platform components: BMC Remedy Action Request (AR) System components and BMC Atrium Core components
- Application components: BMC Remedy ITSM core components, BMC Service Request Management, BMC Service Level Management, and BMC Remedy ITSM Process Designer
The installation and upgrade information for BMC Atrium Core is no longer available in the BMC Atrium Core online documentation.
Continue to refer to the BMC Atrium Core online documentation for information about configuring after installation.
New CMDB Dashboard that provides key metrics about the CMDB and CIs
You can now get at-a-glance statistics about important details related to BMC Atrium Configuration Management Database (CMDB) activity and Configuration Items (CIs) by using the newly implemented BMC Atrium CMDB dashboard. This information will help you understand current and historical CI data that is indicative of the health of BMC Atrium CMDB. The BMC Atrium CMDB dashboard displays the number of CIs present in BMC Atrium CMDB and the number of CIs created periodically, among other matrices.
Improved performance by use of Denormalized CMDB Data Storage
When you use categorization subclasses, insert and update calls are reduced when you create instances, resulting in a significant improvement in the performance of BMC Atrium CMDB. Denormalization also improves reconciliation performance during the loading of data into BMC Atrium CMDB.
The Common Data Model is denormalized such that the following classes and relationships are converted to categorization subclasses:
- BMC_LogicalSystemComponent class
In addition, you can add a categorization subclass as a child of an abstract class.
For more information, see Denormalized CMDB Data Storage.
Reduced time to value due to the preconfigured integration of BMC Atrium Discovery and Dependency Mapping
For this release, the Atrium Discovery and Dependency Mapping (ADDM) tool integration with BMC Atrium CMDB enhancement is available only with fresh installations and not with upgrades.
As part of a fresh installation, BMC Atrium CMDB is available with a preconfigured integration with BMC Atrium Discovery and Dependency Mapping. The following tasks are performed automatically with this new integration feature:
- Creation of the BMC.ADDM dataset
- Creation of a Reconciliation job that consists of the following activities:
For more information, see BMC Atrium CMDB and BMC Atrium Discovery and Dependency Mapping Integration.
to download the ADDM integration package for Windows and Linux operating systems.
Reduced time and expense of integration with preconfigured integration of Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager
BMC Atrium CMDB is available integrated with Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), thereby eliminating need for manual configuration and hence the errors. SCCM integration is available as an ‘open source’ offering that enables you to quickly start using it. The integration package gives you the flexibility to choose when to begin discovering the hardware and software configuration information. SCCM discovered data is thus effectively copied into BMC Atrium CMDB and is readily available for consumption to Remedy ITSM applications, BPPM Suite or any other Atrium CMDB consuming application.
SCCM integration package is available as a separate installer. You only need to download and install it. The integration of SCCM with BMC Atrium CMDB is done automatically. to download the SCCM integration package for Windows and Linux operating systems.
The key highlights of this integration package are as follows:
- Saves cost and time: Eliminates the need to develop customized integration that needs about 4 to 6 weeks.
- Prepackaged integration best practices eliminates errors.
- Imports CIs as well as Relationship data from Microsoft SCCM.
- Includes pre-defined mappings between SCCM tables and CMDB classes/relationships. You can configure these mappings as per your requirement.
- Includes pre-configured CMDB dataset, Reconciliation rules, Normalization rules. This offers end-to-end scenario for loading data into Atrium CMDB from Microsoft SCCM, thereby eliminating any possibilities of errors.
- Imports the following classes into the CMDB. The classes are available for Asset Management after they are imported into the CMDB and are reconciled into the BMC.ASSET dataset.
- Before you begin SCCM integration in AR, ensure that CMDB 9.0 and Atrium Integrator are installed.
- When using this integration package for continuous job type in Normalization, ensure that the source dataset has the values for CTI, Model, and Manufacturer details. Also ensure that in Atrium Integrator mapping, you map the source data with Model and Manufacturer details.
- To launch SCCM 2.0 on Windows 2012 operating system, you must first change the compatibility mode to Windows XP.
- To install Drift management on Windows 2012 operating system, you must first change the compatibility mode to Windows XP Service Pack 2.
- Includes BMC Atrium Integrator jobs, thereby allowing you to complete the setup promptly. You can modify the Atrium Integrator jobs using the standard Atrium Integrator procedures.
- Supports Windows Authentication and SCCM 2012 and BMC Atrium CMDB 9.0.
For more information, see BMC Atrium CMDB SCCM Adapter Guide.
For more details on BMC Atrium CMDB and SCCM integration, see this video.
New dataset-level permissions
The new dataset-level permissions ensure data security at the dataset level. These dataset-level permissions are managed from Dataset Configuration console, which also allows you perform the following operations:
- Create a dataset and its appropriate values, allowing for easy dataset administration in a dedicated logical area
- Manage dataset-level permissions, controlling access to data and preventing inappropriate updates of data by unauthorized users
For more information, see Managing dataset level permissions.
Central management of configuration logs in a server group environment
Configuration logs for BMC Atrium components are moved to a Central Configuration System (CCS), eliminating downtime when you enable logs. You can manage all CMDB configuration changes in a server group environment from a newly implemented CMDB Configuration console. You can perform logging configurations for the Normalization Engine and shared plug-ins from the Plugin Server Configuration console in the BMC Remedy AR System Administration console.
- You no longer require file system access to edit configuration changes.
- Any changes to logging configurations do not require you to restart BMC Remedy AR System.
For more information, see Configuring logging information in CMDB.
Configuring BMC Atrium CMDB Engine
Using the CMDB Configuration console, you can configure General Settings, Cache Settings (Applicable for server group environments only), and ChunkedItem Settings. All the logs generated for Atrium CMDB have a unified format across the CMDB Engine and its components.
For more information, see Configuring BMC Atrium CMDB Engine.
Introduction of RESTful API to simplify integrations between platforms
BMC Atrium CMDB now implements RESTful API, eliminating the need to use VPN solutions. RESTful API for BMC Atrium CMDB is built on REST framework and supports the following operations:
- N-Level Search
You can use RESTful API for BMC Atrium CMDB to create, update, and delete configuration data such as BMC_ComputerSystem, BMC_DiskDriver, and so on. For more information, see REST API .