Working with BMC Atrium Service Context
The Service Context Summary window (shown in the following figure) displays key information about a business service, such as the name, description, and related services and configuration items (CIs). Your administrator can configure additional attributes, such as Outage Records and Completed Changes, depending on the applications that are running in your environment, such as BMC Asset Management and BMC Change Management.
Service Context Summary window
Additional information about the CI, such as related incidents, is displayed in the bottom portion of the Service Context Summary window. You can click the number next to an item to view more information, such as the date and time and incident ID.
The number next to an item indicates the number of results returned for that attribute. If there was an error retrieving data from the provider, a dash (- ) is displayed instead of a number. You can click the dash to see the error message. If an excessive number of items is returned, a message is also displayed. See your administrator for help in these situations.
Before you begin
- Make sure that you have the CMDB SC User role and are a member of the CMDB SC User Group group. Also make sure that you have view permissions for the CIs that you will access with BMC Atrium Service Context.
- Make sure that your user locale settings are correct for your chosen language and date/time display.
See your administrator for help with permissions settings.
To view BMC Atrium Service Context information about a business service CI in BMC Atrium Explorer
- Open BMC Atrium Explorer and search for a business service CI.
- Select the CI and click Open launch in context menu in the toolbar.
Launching the Service Context Summary window
- Select BMC Atrium CMDB > Service Context, as shown in the above figure.
- To view additional information, click the number next to an item in the Related Information section.
- For a related service or CI, such as an application, server, or other business service, double-click the CI.
- To go back to the original Service Context Summary window, click Home.
- To view more up-to-date information in any Service Context Summary window, click Refresh at the bottom of the window.
By default, clicking Refresh retrieves CI information stored in BMC Atrium Service Context cache. In this case, the timestamp shown is the time Refresh was clicked, not the time CI information was loaded into cache. Your administrator can turn off caching so that Refresh retrieves CI information directly from the data source. Turning off caching might result in a delayed response time for showing results.