Performing the upgrade
This section provides the procedures for upgrading BMC Atrium Core on a single computer and in a server group environment. The following topics are provided:
- Upgrading the AR System server
- Upgrading BMC Atrium Core on a single computer
- Upgrading BMC Atrium Core in server group
This topic provides information about recommendations and steps you should perform before you upgrade BMC Atrium Core. This topic provides the following information:
BMC Atrium Core installers
To upgrade the entire BMC Atrium Core environment you need to run the BMC Atrium Core and the Atrium Integrator installers. The installer guides you step-by-step through the upgrade process. When you start the installer, you can choose one or more features to upgrade at one time. Because certain applications depend on a specific set of features, you might need to run the installer multiple times to install all of the features in the solution. For example, you first upgrade the CMDB on one computer and then run the installer a second time to upgrade the Web Services on a different computer.
Using the BMC Atrium Core installer you can upgrade the following components
- BMC Atrium CMDB
The BMC Atrium CMDB upgrades the Normalization Engine, Product Catalog, and Reconciliation Engine component.
- BMC Atrium Core Web Services
The BMC Atrium Web Services infrastructure is installed with BMC Atrium Web services.
BMC Atrium Core Web Registry
Upgrade BMC Atrium Core Web Services and BMC Atrium Core Web Registry on a separate computer from the BMC Atrium CMDB.
- BMC Atrium Integration Engine
BMC recommends you use Atrium Integrator instead of BMC Atrium Integration Engine.
Using the Atrium Integrator installers (server and client) you can upgrade the following components:
- Atrium Integrator server
- Atrium Integrator client
BMC Atrium Core installation modes
If an earlier version of BMC Atrium Core component already exists on a computer, you must first upgrade that component and then proceed with new installation of the remaining components.
On a single computer
To upgrade BMC Atrium Core on a single computer you need to first upgrade AR system.
In an BMC Remedy AR system server group environment
When you you BMC Atrium Core in an AR System server group environment, it is recommended that you first prepare the complete primary stack and then the secondary stack. See, Upgrading BMC Atrium Core in server group.
Back up the AR System database before you start the upgrade. If the upgrade fails, the data might get corrupt.
- To reduce upgrade time significantly, ensure that you do not upgrade the products over the wide area network (WAN).
- Review the requirements in Pre-installation procedures for new installations of BMC Atrium Core. For example, make sure that you disable temporarily the escalations on the AR System server before you start.
- To avoid configuration problems, accept the default values displayed in the installer unless you have a valid reason to modify them.
- For best results, install BMC Atrium Core Web Services on a separate computer from the BMC Atrium CMDB. You must upgrade the BMC Atrium Core Web Services components on the computer where they were originally installed. In addition, some BMC Atrium Core features (for example, BMC Atrium Service Context) will not work until these BMC Atrium Core Web Services components are correctly installed.
You must upgrade Atrium Integrator server before you upgrade BMC ITSM or BMC Service Request Management.
If you have BMC SIM in your environment, and the SMS database is on a different computer than the one where the BMC Atrium Integration Engine service runs, the BMC Atrium Integration Engine service must be configured to use a Windows Authentication login in Connection Settings.
Before you begin
- Before you run the BMC Atrium Core installer, close any application that might be running. A running application might consume some processes that are required by the BMC Atrium Core installer for deploying the BMC Atrium Core installation files and directories. If you do not close such applications, the upgrade does not proceed.
- Prepare and upgrade the BMC Remedy AR System server on the same computer on which you will install BMC Atrium Core or Atrium Integrator.
- Install Oracle JRE 1.6 or above on your computer.
- The AR System server that the application connects to must be running.
- Your planning worksheet is filled out and available during the upgrade.
- No users are logged in to the AR System server during the upgrade.
- Enable the creation of 8.3 filenames and directories for all long filenames and directories before running the BMC Atrium Core installation.
An initiation of the BMC Atrium Core installation from the Command Prompt might fail if you use parameters (representing the path to the BMC Atrium Core installation directory) with spaces. So that short paths are supported while installing BMC Atrium Core, make sure that the creation of 8.3 filenames and directories for all long filenames and directories is enabled on your Windows computer. For more information about 8.3 filenames, see Microsoft Support.
The BMC Atrium Core installer sets the IATEMPDIR environment variable to the /tmp, /var/tmp, or the %TEMP% directory. The /tmp, /var/tmp, and the %TEMP% directories should have at least 2 GB of free disk space for the installer to deploy the BMC Atrium Core files and directories temporarily. If you set the IATEMPDIR variable to a different directory, make sure that this directory has at least 2 GB of free space.