Managing federated data stores
A data store can represent multiple sources of external data. For example, a data store can represent data from databases (retrieval type) or launch in context links. You can use the Federation Manager to federate external data through a data store, making that data available to view and query with BMC Atrium Configuration Management Database (BMC Atrium CMDB) tools, such as BMC Atrium Explorer.
After you have created a data store, you can configure federated definitions using the retrieval and launch methods.
The following procedure includes an example for a Calbro Services administrator who wants to create a new data store for the computer system information stored on a Microsoft SQL Server database. You have already created a plugin for this database, as described in Creating plugins for federated data.
To create or modify a data store
- Open Federation Manager.
Federation Manager interface
- In the toolbar, click Manage data stores and definitions.
- In the Data Store dialog box, perform one of the following actions:
Create a new data store
- Select Create new Data Store.
- Enter a name that briefly describes the data store.
- Provide a full description of the data store.
- Click Next.
The new data store is created after you click Next.
Modify an existing data store
- Click Edit to modify the name or description of the data store.
- Click Update to save your changes.
For example, the Calbro Services administrator would select Create new Data Store, provide a name of Federated Weight Data for Banking Servers, describe the data store as Microsoft SQL Server database for Banking Servers, and then click Next.
- Select a federation method, and then click Next.
For example, the Calbro Services administrator would select Retrieval.
- Proceed to one of the following sections, depending on the type of federation you selected: