Exporting Product Catalog data
Before attempting to export the data, you must understand what data is required and how this data is represented on the Product Catalog Console.
The Product Catalog consists of a collection of products and suites. Software products are composed of one or more files. Each product entry contains information, such as the name, the manufacturer, and the version number of the application. Suites are composed of one or more products. A suite is technically a product that is identified as having a relationship to one or more other applications. Each of these elements is represented by a staging form as explained in Overview of importing custom Product Catalog data.
You can export Product Catalog entries in bulk to external files or staging forms. You must export a number of forms from the preproduction server, as indicated in Staging forms used for importing custom Product Catalog data.
Before you begin
Create a new report of AR System type for each staging form. While designing this report, include all the fields. You use this report to export the data in .arx format.
To export data from the Product Catalog
Perform the following steps to export data from the Product Catalog:
- Log on to the BMC Remedy ITSM server as an administrator.
- Use one of the following methods to open the appropriate form:
- Enter the direct URL:
For example, to open the PDL:ESIDversioninfoCustom form:
- Open the Object List to search for the form:
If the form has an alias, you must search for the alias. Otherwise, search for the form name. If you see two versions of the form listed, select the object listed as a Form, and not the Join Form.
For more information about creating reports and configuring the object list, see Using the Object List in the BMC Remedy Action Request System online documentation.
- Enter the direct URL:
- Make sure that the form is in Search mode.
- Search for all records in the form or for just the subset that you want to export.
To search for all records, leave the form blank and click Search.
If an error occurs when you perform an unqualified search or if your query hits the 1000-record query limit, perform the following steps:
- Open the IT Home page.
- Open the AR System Administration Console for the BMC Remedy ITSM server.
- Click System > General > Server Information.
- On the AR System Administration: Server Information form, click the Configuration tab.
- Select Allow Unqualified Searches.
- In the Server Table Chunk Size field, enter a different value (for example, 0, for unlimited records returned in the query). This setting can result in slower performance.
- Click OK.
You can then return to the form and perform the search.
- Create reports to export the data from the staging forms.
- Select all the records returned in the search.
- Click the Report button.
When the Reporting Console opens, reports that are associated with the form and that you have permission to access appear in the list. The list can include AR System, BIRT, and Crystal types of reports. If no reports appear in the Reporting Console list, you must create a new AR System type of report.
- To generate .arx output, select an AR System type report, as identified in the Report Type field.
All the records that you selected are passed to the report.
If no reports appear in the Reporting Console list, either there is no report associated with this form or you do not have permission to access it. In that case, you must create a new AR System type of report.
- In the Destination field, select File.
- In the Format field, select AR Export.
- Enter a name for your report.
Change the file name to the form name, and do not use illegal characters.
- Click Run.
- Repeat this procedure for each staging form that you are exporting.