Associating a signature with a product in the Product Catalog
A signature identifies a product, and each signature is associated with a Signature ID, which is a random unique string. You can also modify the generated Signature ID or provide a unique string ID manually.
TrueSight Server Automation uses BMC CMDB web services to push data into the Product catalog along with the signature information. Signature files are stored in the Product Catalog as attachments, such as an XML or text file. The maximum attachment file size defined by BMC Remedy AR System is 5 MB.
If no Signature ID is provided, the Signature ID is automatically generated and populated from the product information by using the following algorithm:
part : vendor : product : version : update : edition : language
The following example shows the signature for Microsoft Office 2002 Patch 10.0.2627.0:
:microsoft_product:microsoft_Office:2003:11.0.5614.0 Ent.:: :Microsoft_Corporation:Microsoft_Outlook:2002:10.0.2627.0::
The following information is used to create signature entries in the PCT:Signature form:
- Signature ID — Random unique string
- Version — Signature version
- Grouping — User-defined signature groups, such as Test or Production to logically segregate your data
- Type — User-defined string, such as dynamic or static, used for data segregation
- Signature file — Location of the signature file
Before you begin
If the product, model or version, and patch information does not already exist in the Product Catalog, create it.
To associate a signature with a product
- In the Product Catalog Console, select General Functions > Create/Associate Product Signature.
In the Signature Product Association window, from the Product Key list, select a product.
Use a pattern search with %<pattern>% to get a shorter list of products. For example, if you enter %note%, only products with note in the name are listed, such as Notepad, Programmer NotePad, and LotusNotes.
(Optional) In the Platform field, enter the platform for the software product.
A Signature ID is automatically generated.
You can modify the automatically generated Signature ID. While modifying the signature ID, avoid special characters.
- To associate a signature with the product, click New Signature.
- In the Product Signature window, specify the Logical Data Group.
- Specify the type and version of the signature.
- To attach a signature file, right-click under Filename and select Add.
- Browse and select the signature file, and click Open.
- From the Status list, select the status for the product.
- To save the new signature record, click Save.
To save the signature association, click Save.
When you customize the signature data, make sure that you include the PDL:ESIDsignatureCustom and PDL:ESIDsignatureProductCustom forms during Product Catalog data migration.