Recommendations for customized reconciliation job
After you perform a few recommended actions, you can create a customized reconciliation job.
BMC recommends that you adhere to the following guidelines when creating a custom reconciliation job:
- If you plan to include Identify and Merge activities in a job, create a standard job with the automated defaults. You can also create a custom identify and merge activity, and a precedence rule. Using these precedence rules you can create a custom job.
- Create small jobs, containing the fewest number of activities that must always run together in a given order to provide the flexibility of subsequently reusing the jobs with more activities.
- Do not create jobs that simultaneously identify the same data set or merge data into the same target data set. Simultaneous reconciliation can either overwrite data you wanted to keep from the other job or create duplicate CI instances.
- If you need to create multiple jobs to merge data into the same production data set, you can select Multiple data sets as a source data set in Merge activity.
- To run the job sequentially or set the jobs as continuous and run them in parallel with the View Other Datasets for Parallel Continuous Jobs option selected. You can configure this option from the new Dashboard, select Configurations > Core Configurations page, and click the Reconciliation component in the left pane. -
- Do not run more than one BMC Atrium Integrator, Normalization Engine, and Reconciliation Engine jobs at the same time because they might query or update the same data.
- For a large amount of data, such as an initial load, run separate identify and merge jobs to allow for better diagnostics.
- For incremental updates, run identify and merge activities in one job. For new CIs, the identify and merge activities may take more time to run. For modified CIs, the identify activity runs quickly because the CIs have reconciliation IDs.
- In a reconciliation job, the Identify and Merge activities are run sequentially, based on the Sequence ID given in the reconciliation job which means that the instances start merging into the target data set only after all instances are identified. For a large amount of data, you can create separate identify and merge jobs and configure the merge job to run in a continuous mode. When the continuous merge job runs at the specified interval, all identified instances with the
ReconciliationMergeStatusattribute set to Ready to Merge are merged into the target data set. This configuration ensures that identified instances can begin merging into the target data set while the Identify activity is still running on the remaining unidentified instances.
To create a customized reconciliation job
The procedure for creating a customized reconciliation job is available through an interactive Walkthroughs widget. From the Dashboard page, or from the Reconciliation component, click the Walkthroughs widget, and then click Creating a Custom Reconciliation Job. The walk-through guides you with the steps you must follow to create the job.