Upgrading Application Server components on additional computers
After you are complete the tasks described in Upgrading the Application Server components, you can upgrade the Application Server components on additional computers that are installed in your deployment environment:
- Primary Scheduler
- ETL Engine
All additional computers used during the upgrade must use the same time zone.
Before you begin
- Ensure that you are logged as the TrueSight Capacity Optimization system or
rootuser to the host on which you are performing the upgrade.
- If you are connecting to the host from a remote workstation by using an X server, ensure that the X server is running on your workstation and that the host can connect to the X server.
Upgrading the Application Server components on additional computers
Steps marked with are available only if you run the installer using the
- Create a temporary folder for the TrueSight Capacity Optimization installation files. For instance,
TrueSight Capacity Optimization binaries are copied from the temporary directory, to the final destination directory, which is the directory for the earlier TrueSight Capacity Optimization installation.
For performing upgrade with the TrueSight Capacity Optimization system user, set the TrueSight Capacity Optimization system user as the owner of the temporary folder created in step 1.
This step will not be required if the upgrade is being performed using the
Unzip and extract the installation files: In the temporary directory that you have created, unzip and extract the installation files.
Unzip command with example
Extract command with example
tar -xvf Capacity_Optimization_<ProdVer>_<OSver>_<Arch>.tar
Ensure that the directory permissions are preserved during extraction. This avoids any folder permission related errors when you are installing from a read-only location.
Change the directory: After extracting the installation files, change the directory to: ./
Set the DISPLAY environment: Your DISPLAY environment must be set correctly to enable the Installer UI to launch.
Scenario Command If the computer has a local graphical console: Set the DISPLAY environment variable to start the installer UI locally.
IP Address>:0.0export DISPLAY
If the computer does not have a local graphical console: Set the DISPLAY environment variable to export to an XServer on a different workstation.
Note: On the other workstation, give access grants to every incoming X window. That is, if the workstation is a Linux computer, or running X over a bash shell for Windows, type the command
Open the installation program: At the shell prompt, type the following command and press Enter:
Welcome screen and EULA: In the product installation Welcome screen, click Next, agree to the the End User License Agreement (EULA), and click Next again.
Enter a username: In the BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization User screen, provide a username (new or existing user) for running the product after the upgrade, and click Next. The upgrade will not proceed with the default entry,
root, in the username box.
Existing installation detected: Select Upgrade BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization, and click Next.
Connect with existing BMC Capacity Optimization Server: Select any of the following options, enter the required information, and click Next.
Option Description Direct connection The server you are upgrading connects to the existing application server over a direct connection. This computer can directly access the TrueSight Capacity Optimization database. Enter the following information:
- Web Server Address: The address of the web server.
- Custom Direct Connection: Enter the following information:
- Protocol: Select HTTP or HTTPS.
- Web Port: Default is 8000 for HTTP and 8443 for HTTPS.
Remote Connection The server you are upgrading connects to the existing application server over a remote connection. This computer is located on a remote network with an unstable or slow connection and has only HTTP visibility to the TrueSight Capacity Optimization Datahub. Enter the following information:
- External Data API Server Name
- Custom Remote Connection: Enter the following information:
- Data API Protocol: Select http or https.
- Data API Port: Default is 8000 for HTTP and 8443 for HTTPS (ensure that the port is be opened for communications on firewall).
Select the Components: Ensure that the required components to upgrade are selected:
Upgrade Datahub: If you upgrade the Web Server before upgrading Datahub, an error is displayed on the web console home page. The Application Server computer will stay in a suspended state until the Datahub is upgraded and registered in the database.
Upgrade Primary Scheduler: If you upgrade the Web Server before upgrading Primary Scheduler, an error is displayed on the web console home page. The Application Server computer will stay in a suspended state until the Primary Scheduler is upgraded and registered in the database.
Upgrade ETL Engine
Installation Preview: In the Installation Preview screen, verify all the upgrade settings, and click Install.
The upgrade can take up to 15 minutes to complete. For information on installer related error codes, see Error codes.
- Installation Summary: The Installation Summary screen tells you whether or not your installation was completed successfully. To view the installation log, click View Log on this screen, else proceed with Step 14.
- Click Done to finish the upgrade and exit the installer.
Where to go from here
Perform any one of the following tasks:
- Install Remedy Single Sign-On and Presentation Server (if not installed).
- If the TrueSight Presentation Server is installed with an earlier version of the TrueSight Capacity Optimization, upgrade it now.