Installing Capacity Agents on Windows
Complete the procedure in this topic to run the Capacity Agent installation program from a UI-based wizard. The Capacity Agent application includes the system collectors and service daemon required to collect system metrics and is installed on each target computer. The Capacity Agent application includes the system collectors and service daemon required to collect system metrics and is installed on each target computer.
The procedure includes steps for a typical and custom installation on a computer running the Microsoft Windows operating system.
Before you begin
To install the Agent
- Extract the TSCO_Agent_<version>_MSwindows.zip file to a temporary directory.
- Navigate to the image subdirectory and double-click the setup.exe file.
- On the Welcome page, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, select I agree to the terms of the license agreement, and click Next.
- BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization Agent is the selected component for installation. Click Next.
- Select the type of installation. When you are finished, click Next.
- Typical (use default settings): Enables you to choose the installation directory, and then uses the default for all remaining options, bringing you to the Network Configuration page (Step 10) of the wizard.
- Custom (configure advanced features): Enables you to configure all options, as described in the remainder (Steps 7 – 12) of this procedure.
- Custom installation only: Specify an installation directory, or use the default directory displayed in the Destination Directory field. Ensure that the directory you choose has enough available space. Click Next.
- Custom installation only: Choose your desired security level. When you are finished, click Next.
- Basic. Maintains network communication between the Gateway Server and Agents, and enables you to configure communication, account, collection, repository, and port options for the agents. The remainder of the procedure describes the screens you see if you choose this option.
- Advanced. Disables network communication between the Gateway Server and Agents. This is useful if, for example, you want to use Initiating Secure Agent data collection. Choosing this option brings you to the Network Configuration page of the wizard.
- Custom installation only: Configure the data collection options as required. When you are finished, click Next.
- Enable collection of historical data. Select to enable historical data collection, used to create Investigate real-time charts.
- Data Repository. Enter the path to the directory where you want to save the collected historical data.
- Set Agent to start automatically. Select if you want Agent to start immediately upon finishing the installation procedure.
- Service Daemon. Enter the port number to be used by the service daemon.
- Maximum process command length to collect. Select the maximum length, in bytes, of the process command that the agent collects.
On the Network Configuration page, select the network configuration option. The Capacity Agent can receive network communications on an IPV4 OR IPV6 network. Select one of the available options:
- Try the IPV4 address if available and then IPV6 address  - Use the IPV4 address. If the IPV4 address is not available, use the IPV6 address.
- Use IPV4  - The default behavior is to use the IPV4 address. The use of 3rd party software does not allow use of the IPV6 address if the IPV4 address is not available.
Use IPV6  - Use the IPV6 address.
Try the IPV6 address if available and then IPV4  - Use the IPV6 address. If the IPV6 address is not available, use the IPV4 address.
- Review the information on the Installation Preview page and click Install.
- You will receive notification confirming that the installation process is complete. Click View Log for details and click Done to complete the installation process.
Where to go from here
You can perform post-installation configuration tasks listed in the following topics: