Installing Application Server components on additional computers
Depending on the size of your environment, you might need to install Application Server components on different computers in your distributed computing environment. It is recommended to run the installation program as a root user.
Before you begin
Ensure that you perform the following prerequisite tasks:
- The tasks that are specified in Preparing for installation.
- The procedure that is specified in Installing the Application Server components with the Oracle database or Installing the Application Server components with the PostgreSQL database.
- The procedure that is specified in Preparing to install as a non-root user if you want to run the installation program as a non-root user.
- The procedure that is specified in Preparing to install without a sysdba password if you do not have a sysdba password.
All target computers where you want to install the additional Application Server components must be in the same time zone.
To install Application Server components on additional computers
To install Application Server components on additional computers, repeat the following procedure for each target computer. During the typical installation, all the Application Server components are installed on a single computer whereas in the custom installation, you can specify to install some of the Application Server components on separate computers.
Steps that are marked with are available only if you run the installation program as a
To perform the typical installation
Unzip and extract the installation files: Create a temporary directory, and unzip and extract the installation archive.
Unzip command with example
Extract command with example
tar -xvf Capacity_Optimization_<ProdVer>_<OSver>_<Arch>.tar
Ensure that the directory permissions are preserved during extraction. To avoid any folder permission-related errors when you are installing from a read-only location.
Change the directory: After extracting the installation files, change to the installation directory. For instance, ./
Set the DISPLAY environment: Your DISPLAY environment must be set correctly to enable the Installer UI to launch.
Scenario Command If the computer has a local graphical console: Set the DISPLAY environment variable to start the installer UI locally.
IP Address>:0.0export DISPLAY
If the computer does not have a local graphical console: Set the DISPLAY environment variable to export to an XServer on a different workstation.
Note: On the other workstation, give access grants to every incoming X window. That is, if the workstation is a Linux computer, or running X over a bash shell for Windows, type the command
Open the installation program: At the shell prompt, type the following command and press Enter:
Welcome screen and EULA: On the product installation Welcome screen, click Next, agree to the the End User License Agreement (EULA), and click Next again.
Directory Selection: On the Directory Selection screen, type the installation directory (default:
/opt/bmc/BCO) where you want to install the product, or click Browse to select a directory of your choice, then click Next.
Avoid using the home directory of the user as the installation directory.
Enter a username: On the BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization User screen, provide a user name (new or existing user) for running the product after the installation, and click Next. The installer will not proceed with the default entry,
root, in the username box.
Select the installation step: On the Installation Step screen, select Install additional machines, and click Next.
- Select the type of installation: On the Select Install Setup Type screen, select Typical Setup: Application Server, and click Next.
Connect with the Application Server: On the Connect with existing BMC Capacity Optimization Server screen, select one of the following options for establishing a connection with the existing Application Server, and click Next.:
Direct connection Remote connection Select this option to establish a direct connection of the Application Server you are installing with the existing Application Server. This server can directly access the TrueSight Capacity Optimization database. Specify values for the following configuration parameters:
- Web Server Address: The address of the web server.
- Custom Direct Connection: Enter the following information:
- Protocol: Select one of the protocols: HTTP or HTTPS.
- Web Port: The default port for HTTP is 8000 and for HTTPS, it is 8443.
Select this option when you want the Application Server that you are installing to remotely connect with the existing Application Server. This server is located on a remote network with an unstable or slow connection and has only HTTP connectivity with the TrueSight Capacity Optimization Datahub. Specify values for the following configuration parameters:
- External Data API Server Name
- Custom remote connection: Specify values for these parameters:
- Data API Protocol: Select one of the protocols: http or https.
- Data API Port: The default port is 8000.
- Control Port: The default port is 8280
Configure the database properties: On the Oracle Database Information screen, specify details for the following parameters to connect to the Oracle database, and click Next.
- In the Oracle Client Home field, type the path of the home directory of your Oracle client.
- In the Oracle Alias field, type the name of the Oracle alias (TNS).
Installation preview and summary: On the Installation Preview screen, verify the installation settings, and click Install.
The installation can take up to 15 minutes to be completed. For information on installer related error codes, see Error codes
Installation Summary: The Installation Summary screen indicates whether the installation was completed successfully. To view the installation log, click View Log on this screen, else click Done to exit the installer.
To perform the custom installation
- Complete steps 1 to 8 of typical installation of additional Application Server instances.
- On the Select Install Setup Type screen, select Typical Setup: Application Server, and click Next.
Select the Application Server components that you want to install on additional computers:
Component Description TrueSight Capacity Optimization 11.0.00 Installation Select to install all the components on the first computer where the installer is being run. The installation is similar to the Typical installation.
Install Database Schema 11.0.00
By default, the Database Schema is installed when you install the Application Server. You cannot install the database schema on a different computer. It is always installed on the first computer. Hence, you cannot clear this check box. Install the following Application Server components:
- Install Web Server 11.0.00: Install the web server.
- Install Datahub 11.0.00: Install the TrueSight Capacity Optimization Datahub.
- Install Primary Scheduler 11.0.00: Install the Primary Scheduler.
Install ETL Engine Server 11.0.00
If you install the Web Server before installing Datahub, an error is displayed on the web console home page. The Application Server computer will stay in a suspended state until the Datahub is installed and registered in the database.
Clear this check box to install the ETL Engine Server on a different computer.
- Refer to the steps of the typical installation for configuring the database connection properties, verifying the installation summary, and existing the installer.