Installing Application Server components
The Application Server installation program installs Primary Scheduler, Data Hub, Web Server, Service Container, and ETL Engine Server. Your environment determines the type of installation and the manner in which you choose to run the installation program. Before starting the installation, review Sizing and scalability considerations for the Application Server to determine the number of target Application Server computers.
You can enable TLS for communication channels after installing the product. For more information about the required steps and to know about communication channels that can be TLS enabled, see Securing communication between product components.
The following flow diagram shows the end-to-end installation and configuration process for the TrueSight Capacity Optimization product. If you have not completed a prerequisite task, click the corresponding box in the process flow diagram.
Before you begin
Regardless of the installation type or installation method that you choose, ensure that you complete the following activities before installing the Application Server components:
- The target computers must meet the requirements specified in System requirements.
- To aid in the installation process, fill out the Installation worksheets for Application Server.
- If you cannot run the installation program as a root user, perform the tasks described in Preparing to install as a non-root user.
- If you choose to enable TLS for internal communication between product components, complete the steps in Preparing for TLS enabled communication between internal database and product components.
Depending on the requirements of your environment, you can install the Application Server components on one or more target computers. After determining the sizing requirements for your environment, choose one of the installation types. To perform the installation, you can either run the installation program from a wizard UI or from a command line.
The Application Server installation program installs the following components. During a single-system installation, the installation program installs all of the components on a single target computer.
When installing the Application Server on multiple computers, refer to the following table:
Application Server components and target computers
|ETL Engine Server||+|
BMC recommends that you install front-end components (such as Web Server) and back-end components (such as Data Hub and Primary Scheduler) on separate computers. If required for your environment, you can install individual back-end components on separate computers.
If you install Application Server components on multiple computers, you must provide each of them with access to a shared content repository. For more information, see Sharing the Content Repository directory.
You can install only one instance of the Datahub. An error is displayed if you attempt to install multiple instances.
When installing the Application Server components, you can choose to run the installation program from a wizard UI or from a command line. Regardless of the installation method that you choose, ensure that you first complete the prerequisite tasks.
Following the installation of the Application Server component, complete the following activities:
- Verify the installation of the Application Server.
- Complete the activities described in Configuring the Application Server after installation.
- Install the out-of-the-box Views on the TrueSight console and the TrueSight Capacity Optimization Console.
- Although not mandatory, you can secure the environment using TLS 1.2. You can also choose to complete the tasks in this step at a later time.