Analyzing the current resource utilization and predicting the future resource requirements
Use custom views to review and analyze the current utilization of resources that are used in your organization and to predict by when additional resources would be required.
Using the view page templates, you can a create custom view that represents the data according to the requirements of your organization. This helps you to efficiently manage the capacity of resources used in your organization.
For more information, see the following sections:
The ACME Web Service portal enables customers to place and manage their customer orders. On an average, this portal handles 350k site visits and 6.6k orders on a daily basis. Paul, the Capacity Planner of ACME, wants to determine the maximum number of orders, or site/page visits, or backend operations that can be handled considering the current capacity of CPU.
To enable Paul to efficiently manage the current capacity of resources and forecast the future requirements, Alan, the TrueSight Capacity Optimization administrator, performs the following tasks:
- Configures the required data mart and model (TrueSight Capacity Optimization console)
- Uses data marts and models to create a custom view (TrueSight console) by configuring the following templates:
- Summary table
- Golden model results (using an Extrapolation model)
Let us assume that Alan has already completed that following prerequisite tasks:
- Identify the required metrics and entities (domain, systems and business drivers).
Configure the required ETL modules for collecting data from the required systems. For more information, see Collecting data via ETL modules.
Configure the Gateway Server and Capacity Agent and enable Auto-create ETLs option. For more information, see Managing and maintaining Gateway Servers and Collecting data via capacity agents.
The ETL modules or Auto-create ETLs automatically add the domain and associated entities to the workspace. Alternately, you can manually add the required domain and entities in the workspace. For more information, see Adding system and business driver entities to a domain.
To configure the required data marts and models
- Promote the EM model to Golden and perform the following tasks:
- Set the Execution period for the EM model.
- Select an option for the Statistics published at each execution field.
The following image shows a sample extrapolation model.
Using the prediction scenario of the EM model, create a SQL-based data mart (CPU capacity) for extracting the hourly utilization details for the CPU capacity. Set the Purpose of data mart to Build Capacity View in TrueSight Console. For more information, see Creating a SQL-based data mart for a custom view in the TrueSight console.Click here to view the sample query for creating data mart...
SELECT * FROM ER_V_EST_CAPACITY_HOUR_2037 where scenarioid = 80
To add a custom view
- In the TrueSight console, add a custom view (Web portal service). Using the Summary table template for the view page (Extrapolation summary) using the Summary table template with the CPU capacity data mart. For more information, see Adding a custom view.
- Add a view page (Extrapolation charts) using the Golden model results template with EM as the model. For more information, see Configuring the Golden model results template.
- Use the Add page groups option to reorder the view pages as follows:
Add a new page Extrapolation and move the Extrapolation summary and Extrapolation charts under the new page.
For more information, see Editing and deleting views.
- (Optional): Configure the filters in the view pages according to the requirement. For more information, see Using filtering options in views in the TrueSight console.
- (Optional): Configure the rendering options in the view pages to add link to other pages in the view.
On the Extrapolation > Extrapolation summary page, use rendering option to add link in the column listing system name to the Extrapolation > Extrapolation charts page.For more information, see Renderer options in custom views.
After the Web Service Portal view is configured, Alan grants the permissions required to use the view to Paul. For more information, see Configuring users and user groups.
To use the custom view
Paul performs the following steps to use the Web Service Portal view (custom view):
- In the TrueSight console, select
The Web Service Portal view is displayed. > Capacity Views > Custom Views > Web Service Portal.
- To view the hourly utilization details for the CPU capacity, select Extrapolation > Extrapolation Summary.
The Extrapolation Summary page is displayed.
- To view correlation between the CPU capacity and number of site/page visits or orders that can be handled per hour, select Extrapolation > Extrapolation Charts or click the capacity for the required business driver in Extrapolation > Extrapolation Summary.
The Extrapolation Charts page is displayed.