Activating a custom extractor module
Use the Integration Studio to activate a custom extractor module. You must activate a module so that it can be used in the TrueSight Capacity Optimization deployment.
After activation, the custom module is displayed in the list of ETL modules that are available to the TrueSight Capacity Optimization administrators when creating a new ETL instance. An administrator is also able to create a new run configuration by specifying the files to parse and the datasets to load.
After a custom module is activated, it gets distributed to all ETL Engine Servers in your environment and enables the TrueSight Capacity Optimization administrator to use it in the production environment.
Before you begin
- Create a custom extractor module.
- Add code to the custom extractor module.
- (Optional) Run the module in the development environment and test it.
To activate a custom extractor module
In the Package Explorer view of the Integration Studio, double-click the custom extractor module that you want to activate. The module is selected.
- In the ETL Datasets view, select the data sets. You must select at least one data set.
In the ETL Module view, complete the following steps:
If the ETL Module view is not displayed in the Integration Studio, add the view. For detailed steps, see To add the ETL Module view to the Integration Studio.
- Ensure that the module file name shows the selected module file name. The status of the module shows Development, which means that the module is currently being developed and it is not ready to be used in the production environment.
- In the Module name field, type a name for the module. After the module is activated, the ETL uses this name. When configuring an ETL, this name is displayed in the ETL module list on the Add ETL page.
- In the ETL Module custom properties (right pane) of the ETL Module view, add a list of custom configuration properties used by the module. When the module is activated, this information is uploaded to TrueSight Capacity Optimization and the property value can be configurable while creating a new ETL instance.
- In the Confirm dialog box, click Yes to confirm the activation of the module.
The module activation is now complete.
After you activate a module, the following updates occur:
The Status value is Ready for production, which means the module is activated and is available for usage in the production environment.
- The module appears in Red color in the BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization Repository view.
The module is uploaded to the repository and the code is distributed to all ETL Engine Server computers (copied into the
/customsrcfolder on each ETL Engine Server), to be available for running in an ETL.
The custom module is displayed in the list of ETL modules when adding an ETL in the TrueSight Capacity Optimization console.
If you make changes to the ETL code later and want to bring the updated module in production mode on the ETL Engine Server, then you must activate the module again by clicking the Activate button, even if it is already active. At this point, you will be asked whether or not you want to overwrite the existing module.
As a best practice, if a new or a modified module is different in behavior than an existing one, provide it an explicitly different name (Use a version number such as TSCOextractor02E.pm). By doing so, the old ETLs continue to use the old module and the new ETLs can use the new module.
To add the ETL Module view to the Integration Studio
- Under Package Explorer, select the module file.
- From the Integration Studio menu, select Window > Show View > Other.
- From the Show View dialog box, expand the Capacity Optimization ETL node in the tree view, and select ETL Module.
- Click OK to add the selected view to the Integration Studio.