Updating the Default Layout installation by applying a bootstrap package
This section outlines the steps required to update the installation that is already using the Default Layout.
- Follow the directions for distributing the bootstrap package via the launch page.
- Outages now begin for this TMTM Extensible Agent.
- Stop any stand-alone extensions. Even though some of the extensions are not updated from the bootstrap package they might be using the JRE. See Running performance and availability monitoring extensions and Running application transaction tracing (transaction monitoring) extensions.
It is not necessary to stop the technologies with embedded extensions when updating the bootstrap package.
- Stop the TMTM Configuration Agent if installed. See Basic command parameters to control the TMTM Configuration Agent.
- Stop the TMTM Extensible Agent. See Basic command parameters for controlling the TMTM Extensible Agent.
- If you have start up scripts, ensure none activate the TMTM Extensible Agent, TMTM Configuration Agent or extensions or technologies with embedded extensions during this upgrade.
- If you have sufficient disk space it is recommended you back up the installation directory. The bootstrap distribution does not overlay the following files:
However, if you have modified any other files, those are replaced and the changes need to be re-applied. For example, logging changes made to the TMTM Configuration Agent. A full back up allows you to refer to those files as needed. Otherwise, back up any files that have been changed.
Remove the bmmtm_agent directory.
Remove the jre directory, if present.
- Unzip the bootstrap package.
- Re-apply the edits to files. Note that files that are replaced are not guaranteed to have the same format as before. Consult BMC Support if you are unsure you should re-apply any changes.
- On Windows platforms, whenever a new bootstrap package is installed or updated after application of a Fix Pack, you may need to update the Microsoft runtime libraries. You can execute the installer if the runtime libraries are already installed. BMC recommends you execute both vcredist_x64 and vcredist_x86, although the 32-bit libraries installed by vcredist_x86 are only required by BTM extensions.
- Start the TMTM Extensible Agent. See Basic command parameters for controlling the TMTM Extensible Agent.
- Start the TMTM Configuration Agent if installed. See Basic command parameters to control the TMTM Configuration Agent.
- Start any stand-alone extensions.
- The outage has now ended for this agent.
- If you are using startup scripts, you can now allow them to activate.
- Retain the backup of the installation until the updated installation has been verified to be working.
If you cannot use the bootstrap/default layout, please contact BMC Support.
The footprint of the default layout is much larger than in previous versions (largely due to the mandatory JREs included).