Updating or upgrading the Flat Directory Layout installation
This section outlines the steps required to update the installation that is already using the Flat Directory Layout.
- Follow the directions for distributing the bootstrap package via the launch page.
- Outages now begin for this TMTM Extensible Agent.
- Stop any stand-alone extensions. Even though some of the extensions are not updated from the bootstrap package they might be using the JRE. See Running performance and availability monitoring extensions and Running application transaction tracing (transaction monitoring) extensions.
It is not necessary to stop the technologies with embedded extensions.
- Stop the TMTM Configuration Agent if installed. See Basic command parameters to control the TMTM Configuration Agent.
- Stop the TMTM Extensible Agent. See Basic command parameters for controlling the TMTM Extensible Agent.
- If you have start up scripts, ensure none activate the TMTM Extensible Agent, TMTM Configuration Agent or extensions or technologies with embedded extensions during this upgrade.
- If you have sufficient disk space it is recommended you back up the installation directory. The bootstrap distribution does not overlay the following files:
However, if you have modified any other files, those are replaced and the changes need to be re-applied. For example, logging changes made to the TMTM Configuration Agent. A full back up allows you to refer to those files as needed. Otherwise, back up any files that have been changed.
- Follow the directions for distributing the list of files for your platform.
- Remove the bmmtm-agent directory (or the directory where it was installed) and re-install the TMTM Configuration Agent following the installation steps earlier in this section.
- Remove the directory where agentpref was installed and re-install it following the installation steps earlier in this section.
- Re-apply the edits to files. Note that files that are replaced are not guaranteed to have the same format as before. Consult BMC Support if you are unsure you should re-apply any changes.
- Start the TMTM Extensible Agent. See Basic command parameters for controlling the TMTM Extensible Agent.
- Start the TMTM Configuration Agent if installed. See Basic command parameters to control the TMTM Configuration Agent.
- Start any stand-alone extensions.
- The outage has now ended for this agent.
- If you are using startup scripts, you can now allow them to activate.
- Retain the backup of the installation until the updated installation has been verified to be working.
Was this page helpful? Yes No Submitting... Thank you