Installing the core components on a Windows system
This portion of the installation process installs the core TrueSight Middleware and Transaction Monitor (TMTM) product components on a Windows server. Following installation of the core components, you can either configure policies to deploy agents your systems to monitor, or you can deploy the agents and configure them at a later time.
You can quickly review the entire installation process and access its corresponding documentation by expanding the following link.
Installation process that uses policies to deploy agents
Installation process where agent configuration occurs after agent deployment
Before you begin
- You must have completed the tasks described in Windows UAC Considerations.
- You must have created and initialized the database as described in Creating and initializing the database and scripts.
- Complete the installation worksheet.
- Obtain the installation media or download the installation files from the Electronic Product Distribution (EPD) website.
- Ensure that you have your company name as it appears on the execution key.
To start the installation program from the DVD
Insert the TrueSight Middleware and Transaction Monitor DVD in your drive.
The DVD normally starts automatically.
To manually start the installation program, run install.exe from: \Disk1\InstData\Windows\VM\install.exe.
- Use the values that you entered in your installation worksheet to complete the installation.
To start the installation program from downloaded installation files
- Unzip the installation image to a location of your choice.
- Change to the image directory (where you unzipped your installation).
- To manually start the installation, run install.exe from: \Disk1\InstData\Windows\VM\install.exe.
You must right-click on install.exe and choose Run as Administrator. If UAC is enabled, do not install into the c:\Program Files or c:\Program Files (x86) directory. For more information about the reasons why, see Windows UAC Considerations.
Troubleshooting the installation
If you enter your company name or execution key incorrectly, you cannot log on to the TMTM Application Service. To resolve this problem, complete the following steps:
- Run the execkey.bat file (from the InstallDir on the computer with the TMTM Application Service).
- Type or paste the correct information, and click Save to update your changes.
- Restart the services.
Where to go from here
Complete the post-installation and configuration tasks. When using Active Directory to authenticate users, configure the Active Directory security mode with the Security Configuration tool before completing the post-installation and configuration tasks.