Defining data rules and templates
The TrueSight Middleware and Transaction Monitor (TMTM) history database stores raw (high-resolution) and summarized (low-resolution) values of attributes, where they are available for querying and generating reports. At 30-minute intervals, the History Service compresses the raw data into summarized data, in accordance with the associated history rule.
The term "summarization" is the same as "data compression" and "Lo Res." The following terms can also be used (they are used interchangeably throughout these sections): Summarized Data vs Compressed Data vs Lo Res Data.
Similarly, "Hi Res" and "Raw" are the same.
TMTM provides a History Template for each Physical Type that provides a list of the attributes associated with that type. In this template, you can select the attributes for which you want history.
As with Event Templates, History Templates are defined for each Physical Type. You then associate each instance with one or more templates for that type. The History Service then subscribes to all TMTM topics checked in the associated templates.
Raw data represents real-time monitored data. Summarized data is presented in reports and charts. To distill the raw data into summarized data for reports and charts, you create a history rule and attach it as a concrete rule to a monitored object or attach it to one or more monitored objects as a history rule template.
This section includes:
- Data history fields, parameters, rules and resolution
- Creating or updating a concrete history rule attached to one object
- Creating or updating a template history rule
- Attaching objects to rule templates
- Validating history rule operation
- Viewing history rules for any object that has attributes
- Removing a concrete history rule from an object
- Detaching objects from a rule template
- Renaming and deleting a history template
- Accounting for time-zone differences