Agent installation overview
Before installing the TrueSight Middleware and Transaction Monitor (TMTM) agent and monitoring extensions in a traditional agent-based configuration, BMC recommends you review this section to confirm the requirements and to gain an overview of the typical installation process.
For information about configuring "agentless" WebSphere MQ Monitoring, see Configuring WebSphere MQ agentless services.
The general installation process involves the following steps:
- Identify the platforms and technologies (machines) to be monitored. Supported middleware monitoring technologies (Performance and Availability) and Supported application transaction tracing technologies (Transaction Monitoring) list the available platform/technology pairs supported for performance and availability monitoring and transaction tracing by TMTM.
- Identify the extensions required by each machine.
- Plan your agent and extensions layout (see Defining your Agent installation layout).
- Plan how you want the agent to connect to the service set (see Choosing how the Agent installation and services communicate).
- Distribute the bootstrap package or manually distribute the files.
- Install the bootstrap package or files and packages manually distributed.
- Configure the TMTM Extensible Agent environment (MQS_HOME environment variable).
- Start the TMTM Extensible Agent.
- Configure the TMTM Extensible Agent.
- Start the TMTM Configuration Agent.
- Distribute extensions packages.
- Install and configure the extensions. See the relevant sections in the Administering section for more information about the supported platform.
- Enable monitoring for each extension.
- Start the required extensions (typically by entering a simple command in a command prompt). Instructions are provided in the corresponding sections in the Administering section.